UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
although i think its banned in the UK its apparently quite popular in the US.
Debark your dog so they have no vocalisation with you or any other animal for a quiet life? No thanks. Shorty can hold a full conversation :thumbup:

and declawing your cat so it doesnt scratch your furniture? Whats wrong with a scratch post, i have one for Squeak. She does use it, albeit sometimes she likes to sharpen her claws on the dog :devil:

your opinions fine people??

·
Banned
8,756 Posts
i think its disgusting both of them :mad:

why get a dog then debark it? i have massive conversations with my lot, they are always the first 'people' i talk a problem through with :eek:

·
Registered
443 Posts
its a shame that people feel the need to do these things
My dog "mad mo" barks for england - but I'd never consider something like this - she barks cos she's not a full shilling
As for cat claws - i trim my oldies as she can't retact them any more and was getting stuck in her bed, in the carpet, on the fence, on the sofa etc- it takes minutes to do and lasts for weeks - she certainly doesn't need them removing

these are the characteristics of these animals - dogs bark, cats scratch - if its a problem then surely they should consider a different pet instead??

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
Dog's can still bark when de-barked but it's very squeaky and sounds like they have a sort throat :( although this never stops them, IMO it's just a quick fix for lazy owners.

I didn't think de-clawing cats was so bad till I found out the procedure, they remove part of their toes as well as their claws. Even when i move to the states I will never have any cat I won de-clawed. Yes, claws can be a pain but i've had cats most of my life and am very used to their claws, if anything caps are a great substitute if you don't want to deal with their claws.

I think both are cruel and I am very pleased they are banned here.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I actually met a malamute that had been debarked in the states, sad thing was the dog was still trying to bark, but made a very strained squeak that was more painful to listen too than an actual bark, it was awful, I think debarking and declawing is horrible, also to add we had a cat that was clawing everything in sight, she was ruining a very expensive suite, I actually had her fitted with claw covers at the vets they are like little gel covers, and the cat can still behave normally but not cause damage(this is going back many years) they did the job over a period of time she stopped clawing the suite we took the covers off and we could direct her towards a scratch post which she still uses to this day, she is 12 years old now, and a house cat, I dont think I would use these gel covers on a cat that goes outside though as it would not be able to defend itself, it was worth doing this IMO because if she continued to ruin furniture, hubby may have insisted I rehomed her, so it saved her and allowed her continued life with us.

mo

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well you wouldn't cut a human's tongue out to shut them up, so why do this to a poor defenceless animal :(

I lived in the States back in 1992, and one of our neighbours had the most gorgeous cat with no claws - I can remember being horrified then.

People should not be allowed to have pets if they think this is acceptable practice.

Louise xXx

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't know how either is preformed but tbh I dont want to know either from reading other peoples posts it must be an awfull life for the dog or cat so I dont understand why people would want to cause this suffering to them xx

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
When I was in Saudi there was a woman rom the US with 2 debarked shelties. They barked constantly, although it was like they had sore throats. I said I thought it was cruel to debark dogs. She really had a go at me, saying I didn't know what I was talking about, it was not cruel and shelties bark all the time so she would have had to rehome them. I thought there was no point in telling her to train her dogs....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
672 Posts
I remember a film where they operated on a dog to stop it barking and i thought it was pure fiction-how wrong was i?? I was horrified to hear you could actually have this done:eek:
Why??? FFS this is ridiculous!

·
Registered
255 Posts
When I was a child, my mum cut off all my hair cos she was sick of brushing it (carcasm) it's no comparison either.

Why mess with nature - very cruel and not natural to even think of doing that.

Muppets.

I would like to think that these pet owners will meet with their pets in another life and the pet can return the favour, that would be interesting

·
Banned
23,698 Posts
They're vile procedures. Apparently a lot of the show shelties in the US are debarked, no one jump on me I've been told this by Americans, because they would bark in the ring :(. It's worse when idiots allow declawed cats out to run free and wonder why they get killed when they can't defend themselves or climb... Apparently declawing is offered with spay/neuter in a package so people don't really realise how bad it is

·
Registered
20,331 Posts
debarking used to be done in this country. It doesnt stop them making a noise, just a bit quieter.
Considering how many dogs bark non stop day and night maybe it is not such a bad thing for neighbours sanity. Personally I think anyone that allows their dog to bark persistently should lose the dog, it is the most antisocial thing around and would be one thing that would stop me ever living in a built up area again.

And no, I dont think it should really be done to dogs. Not sure about declawing house cats, I dont know enough about it.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Well you wouldn't cut a human's tongue out to shut them up, so why do this to a poor defenceless animal :(

I lived in the States back in 1992, and one of our neighbours had the most gorgeous cat with no claws - I can remember being horrified then.

People should not be allowed to have pets if they think this is acceptable practice.

Louise xXx
There are a few people i could think of that i WOULD do that to!!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note though i think both practices are disgusting, i also think cropping ears is awful too!!!!!!

·
Shan
4,686 Posts
There are a few people i could think of that i WOULD do that to!!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a serious note though i think both practices are disgusting, i also think cropping ears is awful too!!!!!!
It's what I call a Forbidden Wish:lol:

What about tail docking?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.