Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Deaths at Aintree

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Beagle Mafia, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Show dying horses, BBC told, as Aintree faces legal action - TV & Radio, Media - The Independent

I read this article and although I wouldn't want to watch I do believe the cover up of how many horses actually die in action is pretty bad. I wouldn't want to know but I do believe we should be aware of the dangers.

I remember watching a point to point race when I was on duty with St John Ambulance and hearing a shot I literally cried and someone told me to snap out of it the horses die doing what they were bred to do and it's life get over it...I never went again I feel even if publicised the public would brush it off with "its their job hey ho".

2. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

It should be called the National Disgrace not the Grand National ...

3. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Similar to grehound racing- 'you bet- they die' Pointless, money-spinning organised cruelty. They should show the deaths, it's not nice, but if people realised the ease with which these animals are bought, used and exterminated, they may think twice about supporting it 'with a little flutter' Unlike greyhound racing, where the injured dogs may be saved with veterinary treatment, I am aware that leg injuries to horses or a heavy fall can be fatal and untreatable- but should the horses be in a position of such raised risk anyway? Should their lives be balanced by their monetary worth? No.

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

So what are we going to do the these horses, Grand National Race horses are breed to race as all types of race horses flat or the the sticks, that's their way of life, when Jockey falls off the horse still races and some still jump all the fences. If they stopped racing these house they could all be PTS. Or would you like a few of them in your back garden.

5. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

It is true that horses like to run and I believe many enjoy it,, But what upsets me is when they hit the horses with crops to make them go faster I do understand that they are only allowed to hit the horses so many times but to me it is wrong.

Horses like to run in a pack (herd) so all you need is a horse to take the lead which is why when a jocky falls the horse keeps with the crowd.I am sure the horse people on here would correct me i'm wrong on thast fact but I am sure I'm right:D

It is a shame when any animal dies but I honestly believe that the horse is delt with quickly and humainly, they aren't left to suffer.

There are many things in this life that are forced to do something they are not happy with,, right down to the sweat shops of children who make the wests clothing! and some of those children die (not bitching just saying:D)

6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I know that some jockeys do hit their horses, but most of them are hitting the saddle or the side of his boots and it does look as if they are hitting the horse.

7. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I don't disagree with racing, I've taken part, I've raced, but I HATE the Grand National. Having owned ex racehorses, trained horses, I am overwhelmed with a fear of dread this time of year when it takes place.

8. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

A lot of injuries these days are treatable and fixable.. Modern medicine..

But they look at the bigger picture.. if a horse falls breaks its leg.. a lot can be fixed.. But unfortunately possibly would never race again.. so what would they do with the horse?

They are in it to win it.. Not to be a a charity of injured horses.. can I say they are my thoughts on it.. and not my feelings on the subject.. :)

This is what these horses are bred to do from the beginning..

9. lozb

lozb PetForums VIP

A friend just shared this link on fb
    Race Horse Death Watch
    It makes for awful reading :(
    Know they're not all at aintree but still....

10. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Good point about what will happen to the horses if the racing stopped- but it shouldn't happen in the first place. I just flat out disagree with animals in dangerous situations for mass entertainment.

Greyhound racing will never stop,- but it is possible to improve conditions. I need to do ore research into horse racing to understand it fully- but I think there's better conditions for the horses during their career than for greyhounds- but I'm sure that there can be mroe done to lessen the risks to the horses- to push for them to be treated rather than shot in more cases. If its possible, it should be done

Just because someone cannot ride a horse does not mean that the horse cannot live a happy life.

More responsibility needs to be taken, and more protection given, to animals in these situations.

I'm going to bo off back to dog chat now. ;)

11. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

To the best of my knowledge, no horse has ever woken up & thought "Yeah, lets stick a 2-legged human on our back today & ride ourselves to death! What a buzz that will be!"

There is no more beautiful a sight than seeing a herd of horses running wild together. However, human nature means that things of great beauty are not allowed and so we have taken these beautiful creatures, broken their spirit and made them our four-legged slaves.

Humans choose to breed these animals and it is RARELY done for the benefit of the horse and is only ever for the benefit of humans.

Humans continue to insist upon being the 'superior' race, no matter how detrimental that is to any other species. It is this constant urge to be superior that frequently makes me very ashamed of my fellow man.

AmberNero likes this.
  12. JJAK

JJAK PetForums VIP

Many are treatable.
    Alot of the time it depends on the position of the break. Sadly though sometimes the vets wont treat a broken leg, something to do with weightbearing and the possiblity of a rebrake due to the movement of the leg and also 'quality of life' many vets will refuse to keep a horse on box rest for the rest of its life and other than that its pretty difficult to keep them on restricted exercise.

Your right :)

13. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

In many cases this is just not the case. I know with my old horse, he would go stir crazy out of work, and I genuinely think that the day he retires should be the day he is pts. If he is ever injured or too old to be ridden, it'd be better for him to be pts, he'd just go mental not worked,
    Some Racing thoroughbreds are not like greyhound in that they can be retired for a peaceful life. Many can, but usually are retrained and kept in work/ridden, but due to highly strung nature of TB's, I can't see them being happy as field ornaments. (Not saying it's impossible but unlikely). I that case, my oppinion is it's in the horses best interest to be pts. He won't know any differant, he will be dead, rather than being stood in field going out of his mind.

14. momentofmadness

Your against horse riding altogether then with that remark????

15. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

My point was that horses didn't choose to carry us humans around - we broke their spirit & made them do it. This was a direct reply to the comment made by BustersMummy within her original post.

I believe that horses can get a certain level of enjoyment from the actions that we humans make them perform and I think they are beautiful creatures to watch in certain arenas but I am sure they would much rather be running free, their wild spirit intact, than being subserviant to human beings.

16. Tapir

Tapir PetForums VIP

Dogs and Cats didn't choose to be pets. Rats, rabbits, hamsters didn't choose to be caged. Surely if you believed that horses would much rather be running free, their wild spirit intact, you wouldn't have pets yourself?

17. MoggyBaby

MoggyBaby PetForums VIP

Well, I can't speak for dogs but I think it has generally been understood that cats domesticated us humans! :D

18. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Its not about racing the National, its about fame and fortune for the owners, would anyone that loved their animals risk their animals lives for the sake of fame?:rolleyes:

Well I for one wouldnt:mad:

19. Valanita

Valanita PetForums VIP

I had no idea so many horses had died on racecourses this year, let alone since 2007.
    It was horrible watching the Grand National, you just knew at least one who started would cease to exist by the end of the race. As it turned out this year, there were two. We saw where they were as well, when the second circuit was being raced, from that eye in the sky camera.:frown2::frown2::sad::sad:
    Sadly racing horses is a business & owners won't keep a horse that can't work, even if that horse could be treated. It would cost more than the horse was worth, they are not pets.

20. momentofmadness

Who mentioned love.. I bet you many race horse owners couldn't even take you to their race horse if it was in a yard of 20.. :lol:

A lot are owned by syndicates or wealthy business men.. The possibly have a few pics to show there friends of them patting a horse..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice