UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why don't they sort out foster care for the poor dogs instead then?????
Maybe they are trying to, I don't know? could be to try and shock people? It is a very valid point though, but there cannot be many fosterers around!

I would love to help but my parents wouldn't plus Pippa is in season and we have cats and other small pets.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
this is the centre local to my parents,i had the displeasure of doing 3 weeks work expo during college.
,more animals were put to sleep than homed.:(

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I'd just like to say my dog was a 'hyper' rescue type when we took him...

Straight away things like his destruction in the kennel did not manifest in the home- he has NEVER destroyed, touched or barely even licked anything of ours- just his toys we have given him.
We set about walking him loads and mentally challenging him.

He would still have some mental 'flips' and run up and down the hall repeatedly or try to bite his tail- but with redirection we stopped those 2 negative behaviours.

He is a loving, calm and happy boy now.
So if anyone has the space and the time i would pass onto them that these dogs CAN be totally different out of their kennels.

Alas we want another, but i now have a new job and just wouldn't have the time to settle one in to our lifestyle- hopefully will be able to in another year maybe!!

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
That appears to be a pedigree blue dobe (or is just my old laptop??), could a breed rescue not help??

And yes there are plenty of people out there willing to take on a rescue dog, or foster, but don't fit the strict criteria (not slating rescues and don't want to turn this thread into yet another discussion on the subject - just to highlight we're not all heartless and ignorant to the plight of rescues).

JMHO, these stories break my heart when I so want to help but can't :(

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That appears to be a pedigree blue dobe (or is just my old laptop??), could a breed rescue not help??

And yes there are plenty of people out there willing to take on a rescue dog, or foster, but don't fit the strict criteria (not slating rescues and don't want to turn this thread into yet another discussion on the subject - just to highlight we're not all heartless and ignorant to the plight of rescues).

yeah I thought it was blue too.

G

·

Yeah I doubt we would fit the criteria
1 child under 5 in the house
1 child under 10
1 autistic kid who`s scared of big dogs
2 small furries in the house

But if we do eventually fit it, I would love to foster a dog or 2 :)

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
From a rescue workers point of view,although i`m very lucky to work in a no-kill shelter,there are just not enough homes out there for the amount of dogs needing them,not that its an excuse to kill them.
Even years ago when i did some work expo at this particular shelter,there was so much more they could have done for "kennel crazy" dogs there,i remebr crying over one particular dog,that they wouldnt let me spend time with,as he was "too far gone"
Kennel stress doesn`t happen overnight and it could have been prevented,imo.
My rescue isn`t perfect,we don`t do fostering(not really sure why) and we do have longtermers which alot of people don`t agree with.
But we do have alot of experienced staff for those more challenging dogs and we do alot of training,and spend alot of quality time with those dogs.
we hold regular meetings to discuss all the dogs and what we can do to help them if they are becoming stressed.
and as i live onsite,i`m quite partial to taking the odd dog to my room of an evening for a bit of chillout time ;)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Yeah I doubt we would fit the criteria
1 child under 5 in the house
1 child under 10
1 autistic kid who`s scared of big dogs
2 small furries in the house

But if we do eventually fit it, I would love to foster a dog or 2 :)
This thread is about these dogs not rehoming criteria- but I don't think it would be fair to your family and animals or dogs like these that are so very stressed to be rehomed/fostered to your environment?

Would you seriously consider taking one on that displays such traumatised behaviours in your situation??

Hope that doesn't come across as too cheeky but you probably wouldn't fit the criteria for these dogs with your situation because it would benefit nobody?
Hope that reads right.

Right back to the dogs is there a done breed rescue? As for the other 2 :(... doesn't look good- hope the paper/site helps stimulate interest in them!

G

·
This thread is about these dogs not rehoming criteria- but I don't think it would be fair to your family and animals or dogs like these that are so very stressed to be rehomed/fostered to your environment?

Would you seriously consider taking one on that displays such traumatised behaviours in your situation??

Hope that doesn't come across as too cheeky but you probably wouldn't fit the criteria for these dogs with your situation because it would benefit nobody?
Hope that reads right.

Right back to the dogs is there a done breed rescue? As for the other 2 :(... doesn't look good- hope the paper/site helps stimulate interest in them!
Yes, I agree thats exactly why i don`t. :smile:

Yep back to those dogs, I really hope someone comes forward who can help them

·
Registered
13,811 Posts
So very sad and the staff must get so upset watching these dogs ailing in a kennel. :(

Sometimes I think pts would be a better option rather than the daily mental torture these poor babies suffer! Hope that report does help in some way, that Dobe is just a lil kid - how can people give them up. Suppose we should all be grateful we're not in the financial difficulty some are in.

This bedroom tax thing aimed at the poorest will, once again, have a knock on effect for people with dogs who are forced to move to smaller accommodation - deliberately targeting the worse off and the shelters will once again be taking the brunt! Heartless b*****ds!!! :mad:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I saw this article on the Portsmouth evening news website (used to live there) as my mum told me about it.

I would have Marcus like a shot but they won't rehome out of Hampshire.

I've contacted a couple of dobermann rescue to see if they can help.

Fingers crossed for all of them.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.