Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Death Row Dogs - BBC1 @ 22:35 Tuesday 24th Jan

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Manoy Moneelil, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Death Row Dogs looks at the growing problem of illegal fighting dogs on the streets of Britain. Despite being banned in the early 90s, pit bulls have become the dog of choice for criminals; sentences are lower than for carrying a knife or a gun but the results can be just as severe. However the problem is not just confined to pit bulls, injuries caused by dogs are at record levels and rising. Sadly fatalities are not uncommon.

[​IMG]

This film gains access to the work of the West Midlands Police Dangerous Dog Unit as they try to tackle the growing problem. We see raids on high profile gang members, crack dealers, a suspected fighting dog ring and a mother who keeps a pit bull for protection. Due to the current law the police sometimes have to destroy a sociable dog and let potentially violent ones go free.

We also follow the tragic stories of families who have had a child killed by an out of control dog. How did it happen? Could it have been prevented? And how have the family dealt with the shocking trauma of such a brutal death?

The film asks whether the current laws work? Why dangerous dogs like the fearsome pit bulls are such an issue? And what can be done to stop the problem getting worse?

Death Row Dogs - BBC1 - Tuesday 22:35 (regional times vary)

2. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

. Will be watching:)

3. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

Will be watching. I think it will be a very interesting documentary but sad too, for the people and dogs concerned.

4. lucylastic

lucylastic PetForums VIP

BBC One - Death Row Dogs

Being shown BBC1 Tuesday 24th January at 2235. Will probably attract a lot of interest due to the recent tragic case in Chingford.

#4 lucylastic, Jan 23, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  5. DT

DT Banned

Thank you for the link
    suspect it will be upsetting - but shall make a point of watching it.

6. Manoy Moneelil

Indeed it looks interesting

7. canuckjill

canuckjill PetForums VIP

I merged these two threads together...Jill

8. Snoringbear

Snoringbear PetForums VIP

I have been told that the slant of this programme is anti bull breed. A positive interview about SBTs with the Dogs Trust has been omitted. Not a good thing given the recent attack on the young girl. Have to wait and see if this is the case.

9. EllesBelles

EllesBelles PetForums Senior

Yes, there's a campaign for people to complain to the BBC Commissioner due to the anti bull breed angle, and the fact that the positive interviews were cut.

A shame, because if it wasn't so allegedly biased it could have been a good program.

10. Autaven

Autaven PetForums Member

Will be watching but no doubt will be very upsetting :(

11. DoggieBag

DoggieBag PetForums VIP

I plan on watching just for the supposed anti-bull breed slant from the World Leaders In One Sided Stories - The BBC.

12. Kc Mac

Kc Mac PetForums Senior

Thanks for the heads up I have set it to record as will be at work ;)

13. beris

beris PetForums Senior

I wont be watching it will be to emotional and upsetting. I can't stand ill treatment of animals.

14. AcornAntiques

AcornAntiques PetForums Member

I was really hoping that this would not be a one sided show but as usual it seems to be an example of lazy reporting :mad:

15. Manoy Moneelil

16. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

This is exactly the kind of programm which will give weight and add fear to the anti dog brigade.
    Its timing is nothing if not suspicious and will certainly give more air time for the muzzle, destroy, ban, anti's

There should be a programme before this equally as long showing the wonderful deeds dogs do the fantastic things they can provide us with and the true value a canine comapnion has to offer...

Like the dog in the photo who saved his owner from drowing after the man fell through ice ..
    Or the dog who on friday alerted passersby to his owner who had lost control of his electric wheelchair and fallen into a canal..No one could see the man because of the steep bank only the dog barking and whining saved him by making people come and look...

No one will be featuring my Max who came and stood in front of my ironing board one day growling and barking ( max never growled) as I moved away to see what he wanted (he was backing up) the faulty electrical socket Id been using blew up.
    If Max hadnt warned me I would have been burned or injured..

But no they will stick with the snarly bity bad boy dogs so messed up by humans that they cannot co-exsist in our society any more..
    I bet the programme will fail to point out that the dogs behaviour is a reflection of the owner and so if the dog is deemed dangerous what horrors are lurking in the owner?

Attached Files:

portiaa likes this.
  17. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

I will NOT be watching.

More bull breed bashing by morons that haven't got a CLUE what they are talking about.

I'd just end up putting my foot through the TV. :mad:

18. theothersparticus

theothersparticus PetForums Senior

So many good dogs, your Max sounds like an absolute hero. :001_tt1:

I bet if people really looked there could be hundreds of stories of 'dangerous' dogs helping their owners or others, but the media prefer tales with plenty of blood and exaggeration :mad:

19. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

I realised it was going to be more sensationalist, biased BS when I saw this slipped into the description-
    Less than one fatality per year? And that's across all dog breeds not just bullies.

To put that into perspective:

Approximately one child per week is killed by their own parents.
    Over 100 under-16s are killed on Britains roads every year.
    Around 2 people under 24 per day kill themselves, inc at least 16 school children per year.
    Between 2 and 6 people per year are killed by bees and wasps - about the same as those killed by being struck by lightning.
    In the last 10 years 31 under 16s have died in accidents on farms (approx 3 per year).

Please explain to me how dog bite fatalities can be considered "not uncommon" when it one of the rarest causes of death in the UK?

Please explain folk want to legislate against dogs (especially specific breeds / types) but not cars, or parents, or bullies, or bees?

EVERY fatal dog attack is one too many, every one is a tragedy - but this is NOT the major crisis it is being made out to be.

Children are killed by people and animals every single day and most cases do not make the news - they "don't matter" as far as the media is concerned.

20. Ameliarate

Ameliarate PetForums Member

I will not be watching because I know I will find it too upsetting.

I wonder whether it is time to bring in some kind of dog licence again, the cost may deter some people from getting a dog. Certainly I feel there should be more legislation regarding the breeding and selling of dogs. A woman where I work with has just bred her dog (a lab) so she can get money for the pups. She won't care what kind of home they go to.

Look at sites like "pets for homes", some of the pictures on there worry me when you see the conditions some of the dogs are being kept in.

It's time to start concentrating on the people rather then the poor animals, in my opinion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice