Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Death of kitten caused by Vet?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Crushmer, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Crushmer

Crushmer PetForums Member

Hi All. just thought I'd share my horrible experience with you and see what your opinions are about the situation.
    Please don't be nasty to me, I already feel very guilty that I didn't go with my gut and didn't take the kitten to another Vet immediately.
    I am absolutely heartbroken and very angry!

I breed Siamese cats. My Vet spays / neuters them at 12 weeks before they go to their new homes.
    They did the first 2 litters (10 kittens) a few months ago. All went well, they went in at 8 in the morning and I collected them at 2 in the afternoon. All the kittens were as if nothing happened, playing eating everything normal as soon as they got home.
    Then this Monday I took 2 female kittens to be spayed. When I got to the Vet at 2 they were already loaded in the carrier to take home. When I got home I noticed that they were very groggy / listless and their breathing seemed rapid and labored. I called the Vet who then assured me they are fine and that it is just due to the anesthetic, but I told the Vet they were not acting the same as the kittens they did before, she still insisted there is nothing to worry about, that it is normal.
    By just before 6 in the afternoon the one kitten seemed better and has started walking around etc, but the other kitten was still the same. I took her to the Vet before 6, just before they closed. They gave her a quick exam, palpated her belly, listened to her heart and lungs and took her temperature, her temperature was low, they continued to tell me that she will be fine, to take her home and just keep her warm and is she doesn’t get better to bring her back the next morning. I could see there was something not right with the kitten, she was very listless and her breathing was absolutely not normal, but I took my Vet’s word because I trusted her.
    Then by 9 that night she still wasn’t better so we called their emergency number, the vet said he will meet us at the practice at 10h. When we came there the Vet (not the same Vet that did the op) agreed that there is definitely something wrong with her. He took her back, did an ultrasound, took an x-ray, did a blood smear, and checked her Glucose levels, but couldn’t figure out why she was the way she was. He continued to say that she is going to have to stay at the practice overnight on a drip. I did not want to leave her there alone, unsupervised (what if something happened and they came in the morning to a dead kitten???) and asked if I can take her home and bring her back first thing in the morning. The Vet refused, said they are not allowed to send patients home on a drip. He then finally offered to take her home with him which I was a bit more comfortable with.

Then the next morning went in as soon as they opened to check on her. I was very shocked, she was way worse than she was before, just laid there, not really moving, breathing rapid and labored and I noticed that her eyes were not blue anymore and her pupils were extremely small (was not like that when I took her in), her eyes was a greyish colour and I could clearly see the red veins in her eyes. They could not explain why her eyes were like that.
    They still didn’t know what was wrong with her, I told them to please do everything they can to save her life.

I went back early afternoon to find out how she was doing, my usual Vet was busy with operations so I spoke to another Vet, he said they still don’t know what’s wrong with her and that the only thing we could do is to keep her on the drip and wait and see. The Vet said that my usual Vet will be finished with operations in about 45 minutes, when I got back there after 45 minutes to speak to the Vet she wasn’t there, there was no Vet at the practice (this was about 1:45). The receptionist said that the Vet went home to eat and will be back at about 2:45, I then asked if I could sit with the kitten at the back until she comes back. She said yes so I went to the back.
    I was absolutely shocked to see my baby in a huge amount of pain, screaming, biting so hard on the blanket that I couldn’t even get her jaw open to get it out, throwing herself around in the cage. I went to the receptionist and told her all this, she replied with saying that she wasn’t going to call the Vet because she was very busy all morning so has to eat now.
    I didn’t know what to do, I was shocked with her reply, but there was nothing I could do. I had to sit with my baby and watch how she suffers in agony until finally I noticed that she stopped breathing for a few seconds. I immediately ran to the front to tell the receptionist , who then decided now it’s suddenly ok to call the Vet! By the time the Vet arrived se has completely stopped breathing and hear heart had stopped, so it was too late. I wrapped her in her blanked and asked the Vet if I can take her home to bury her and I’ll come back later to talk to them.

I am absolutely gutted, my animals are everything to me and I feel like they are nothing to my Vet!

I paid for the kitten’s spay surgery and microchip, but I do not feel that I should pay for everything they did afterwards. I feel that I will be paying them for killing my baby, because I feel something went wrong during surgery in the first place, then they didn’t bother to treat her when I called them that afternoon and when I took her back at 6h that afternoon.

The Vet did mention that she might have missed that she didn’t get enough oxygen sometime during surgery and that that could have caused brain damage?! I don’t understand how she can miss something like that and isn’t another Vet or at least an assistant supposed to assist during surgery, to monitor breathing, heart rate etc??

I am very traumatized by what has happened!

I am never going back to that Vet again, I am seeing another Vet tomorrow to discuss moving over to them.

2. Crushmer

Sorry for the VERY long post........

3. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

I am very sorry for your loss but i dont know anything about breeding pedigree cats my moggy cat had two litters years ago which was pretty straightforward and i kept one of her sons, but i can imagine how you are feeling someone with knowledge and advice will be along soon . Once again so sorry R.I.P. little one

4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

Goodness, that's horrible :( I'd definitely be stringing that vet up for not putting their hands up and admitting sooner. Even if the poor kitten had to be put to sleep the day after the spay, surely it would've been better than reeling around in agony for her last day on earth!? :mad:

5. SnazzyJazzy

SnazzyJazzy PetForums VIP

im sorry for the loss of your little one :( defo change vets what vets were they?

6. Kiwi

Kiwi PetForums VIP

What a dreadful experience :( I am so sorry for your loss and speechless about the behaviour of you vets (I'd definitely report them). RIP littlun xx

7. Tidgy

Tidgy PetForums Senior

thats awefull :(

isn't 12 weeks a bit young for that sort of operation though? (may be my lack of knowledge and its fine)

8. Cats cats cats

Cats cats cats PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry and sad to read this :( I hope someone more knowledgeable than i will be along soon . RIP little angel xxx

9. Sammy123

Sammy123 PetForums Senior

This is so sad. I am really sorry that you had to go through this. Vets do go wrong sometimes and even though they spay all the time, it still is an operation and it can go wrong. However, there is no excuse for them being so unhelpful afterwards! I am sorry... :(

10. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss. What a terrible think to happen.
    Report the vet and
    I would also report the receptionist. She must have seen how in pain Your kitten was and she did nothing to help. To say she has to eat now and not call the vet is unforgivable.
    Also get intouch with the vet assoc.
    Don't blame yourself because you trusted them and you did your best.
    I really feel for you and seeing you baby in pain is the worse thing ever.

Sending you some big Hugs xx

R.I.P Little Kitten. They will take good care of you at Rainbow Bridge xx

11. Crushmer

I'm in south Africa...

12. Crushmer

No not too young, the surgery does have risks, but no more risks than surgery on a 6 month old kitten... That is if the Vet has experience with early altering!

13. SnazzyJazzy

fair enough :) im not lol but was just thinking if anyone else was then would be good to warn them
    i hope things get better for you, how is yuki?

14. Crushmer

I am going to discuss with the other Vet tomorrow if it would be worth reporting them.
    I meant the receptionist said that the Vet has to eat now so she is not going to call her to come...

15. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Omg Im so sorry :( you shouldnt have paid a bloody cent and if its there fault they should be held responsible, seems they were fobbing you off trying to make it look like they were fixing it when they must have known she wasnt going to make it. I would be after blood.

16. Crushmer

Yuki has good days and bad days, seems today is one of those not so good days again :(

17. Iluvmypets

Iluvmypets PetForums Member

OMG that is just awful :( completely awful, I'm so sorry for you and the kitten xxxxxxxxxx

18. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I have no practical advise to give, but I wanted to say how sorry I was to read your story. I would be as angry as you are. How DARE they treat your little one with such little regard.

I am so glad you were with her though. She now has your love with her at the Rainbow Bridge. x

19. SnazzyJazzy

aww lots of gentle hugs to yuki hope he feels a bit better soon x

20. natty01

natty01 PetForums VIP

im really sorry about your kitten :( i dont know much about cats but a freind of mine had a dog die after being spayed it was very upsetting . i have to get my kitten neutered soon and i must admit it has made me nervous . i hope yuki feels better soon xxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice