Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Death by sat nav.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Zaros, May 29, 2010.

1. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I always thought it was a critical understanding that each emergency service and its drivers had a good geographical knowledge of the area they were serving. Apparently not. It seems that more and more people these days are relying too much on a technology which, initially, was designed to make life more convenient and efficient yet, in evidence, is promoting more and more complacency simply because they trust in a gadget more than they do their own hidden capabilities.
    Consumerism, taking your money and your life! :rolleyes:

Grandmother died of blood clot 'after sat nav sent ambulance to wrong village' | Mail Online

2. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Sorry for the family :( They should use local crews.

First I was sceptical of sat navs, especially as I'm usually the co-driver so I'm used to having the maps on my lap for the whole journey but I found "Tiffany" invaluable on our holiday in France, she talks to hubby and he doesn't answer her back, she beeps a warning for speed cameras and gives him accurate speed of the car ... excellent :thumbup:

3. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I used to work as a transport manager for a fleet of multi-drop vehicles and the routes designed for each individual vehicle were planned from reading maps.
    From time to time a new employee would claim they didn't need to take route notes (Travel with the existing driver and write down details of route) because they owned a Sat Nav. Sat navs were unsatisfactory pieces of equipment because the routes were all based on timed deliveries. We had previously put the Sat Nav to a test against good old fashioned map reading knowledge and the apparatus didn't even come a close second. Sat navs directed the driver via main roads because they lack the knowledge to short cut the network of inner city streets. I suppose they're okay for holiday/pleasure driving but for anything else you might as well forget it!

4. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I agree, no substitute for driver's local knowledge especially with that type of job.

Where I am, I don't do much driving around city streets :lol: the furthest I drive (other than my normal routes) is when ds has a cricket match away from home and then I follow the other parents in convoy, old fashioned I am.

5. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

I use a sat nav if I'm going to a location a few hours away, as to be honest, I don't own a map. My parents and brother do but I haven't gotten around to buying one yet. However if the location is within an hour away, I'll google it and work it out, however will program my sat nav but have it on mute :D

6. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I have been working in my area now for nearly 6 years and still don't know where everywhere is.

I'm sure that there are villages/streets around everyones local area that they are not familar with.

Maybe they should sue the Sat-Nav company for not plotting the shortest/most direct route.....

The lady (according to the newspaper report in link by OP) died 5 mins before the ambulance arrived....so probably wouldn't have made it to the hospital alive even if they had been quicker, or, if she had arrived at hospital, maybe they wouldn't be able to do anything for her.....who knows...

I'm sure the crew were as frustrated as the family.....its not nice to be sent the wrong/long way when you know someone desperately needs your help.

As for map reading.....how many people here have a sat-nav instead of a map? How many people rely on sat-nav on a daily basis?

Should HR dept be to blame for employing people who aren't local?? Or, maybe the person who called out the local crew out, and left an out of area crew to deal with the next local job?

Yes, its tragic that a lady has died, a family has lost a loved one....but blaming a crew who I'm sure didn't go the wrong way on purpose is not the way forward....

7. xgemma86x

xgemma86x PetForums VIP

This happened just down the road from me. Sympathy to all the family xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice