Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dear breeders, i have some questions.. thanks in advance

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Soundbug, May 3, 2017.

1. Soundbug

Soundbug PetForums Newbie

First of all, i am not a breeder at all, actually i had never had a cat since 3 months ago. (i used to have a dog). A pregnant stray moggy came to our house 3 months ago and gave birth to 3 lovely kittens 4 weeks after her arrival. She (mother) is very lovely, easy and friendly. We homed her permanantly, will keep one kitten (female) as a friend to her mum and 2 boys go to one of my close friends when they are 13 wo, all flead, wormed, vaccinated (on a reg. vet visit). All will be neutred/spayed in a short time. We really fell in love with them, they brought joy to our lives.. Anyway i have some questions:

1) what is the percentage of getting on well, mum and daughter?

2) what is the percentage of getting on well, 2 brothers?

3) Earliest spay age? as the wets here think it is better to wait till 6 months old.

4) They half-weaned. They eat RC baby cat and some wet food ( Schesir, RC etc), i intend to try raw (from butcher/chiken wings) but people keep telling me it is dangerous because it could cause worms (all of them wormed by the way), what do you think, raw but from local butcher as we can not find raw brands here..

5) The mother has been in heat for one week, not very local and disturbing though.. padding, bum in the air, calling etc. what is the average duration for heat and what do you think about catnip?

6) One last question, how many times do you have litters in average in one year? Just curiosity..

7) By the way i decided my favourite breed (after moggies :)), is BSHs.. such a lovely kittens, just adorable! Not in the near future but maybe one day we might have one.. especially silver mackerels.. Scotish folds are very very popular here, as far as i noticed they are not so popular in the UK, i wonder just why, is it about health issues?

Note: very helpful forums especially breeding section is a delight to read! informations through experiences from experienced breeders, keep it running please.

English wise, not a native speaker..

Some pictures.. all the best!

Attached Files:

chillminx and Psygon like this.
  2. Soundbug

Some more pics;

Attached Files:

3. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Hi welcome to the forum. I'll answer your questions as asked:

I can't give you a percentage, but it can work and it can go horribly wrong. I have a mother and daughter here who hate each other, to the extent that I cannot keep them together and have to separate them at all times.

Siblings usually get on well, regardless of their sex when they are neutered.

Mine are done at 13 weeks of age.

I'm not sure where you live and what is available to you, but several people on the forum feed raw. I feed pre-prepared raw cat food made by Natures Menu.

Each queen is different, I've had girls screaming for almost 14 days solid, they then have a few days off before coming on again. Queens will also spray/wee when they are calling.

One litter a year.

Scottish folds are not recognised by the main registry in the UK (the GCCF) as they have a mutation that is believed to cause other health problems. Therefore there are not many breeders are they are not a common breed in the UK.

moggie14 likes this.
  4. Soundbug

Tigermoon, thank you for your swift reply, helpful.. x

5. Soundbug

I live in istanbul, turkey by the way..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice