Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dealing with the unknown with my old lab..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Barboo, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Barboo

Barboo PetForums Newbie

Just joined this, so excuse me if I have posted in the wrong bit.

Anyway, just wondered if anyone can offer any advice.

My lab is 12 in nov, and 18 months ago, he had a "fatty" lump removed. He still had a few still on him, but nothing to be concerned about. Anyway about 3 months ago, he started shedding really badly and it hasn't stopped, its just got worse. At first I put it down to the weather, then down to old age. But this week I have noticed, him scratching a lot. Especially on the top of his hind legs that join his chest that area on both signs, he keeps trying to lick and nibble this area to. He got a bit wobbly on his back end the other day, but seems fine since. Yesterday I felt all over his body and although he has quite alot of fatty lumps, there is one which is quite big and hard, near the area he has been scratching. It's just a few inches up from where the hind leg and chest joined. He is eating and drinking fine, and going to the loo fine. He gets a little breathless after a walk, but not noticed anything more than usual.

We have a vets appt on mon pm. But I am going out of my mind with worry has anyone delt with this before?

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I am not sure if this is relevant to you or not but sounds slightly similar with regards to a lump my dog had a few years ago.

He was constantly scratching, and trying to bite his back. When I checked it was a lump, which actually looked like it was really sore.
    Took him to the vets, and the lump had a slight infection from his scratching and he had it removed a few days later. The vet told me that although the lump itself was not hurting him, it was actually annoying him hence the scratching and attempt at biting. He had seen many dogs do this, and could have been a lot worse with infection. It was removed, basically it was nothing to worry. I think it was just a fatty lump or cyst. If the vet thought it was something to worry about I would have had a biopsy done, since this was original plan.

I just wish I I could be more useful with the information, make sure you mention all concerns when you go to the vets, which I am sure you will.

3. Barboo

Barboo PetForums Newbie

Well it does sound similar, although this lump is not sore at all its internal and its completely different to his "fatty" ones, those ones feel squishy and move. This is hard and big. And doesn't move, when I touch it he sort of flinches?

Does anyone know about lymph nodes? I was wondering if this area is one? I am concerned if this is cancer ..:(

4. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I will be sure someone with more experience will answer give a really in deep answer soon on this for you, telling u what may cause the hair loss etc.

I did actually lose a dog to cancer, the tumour felt bumpy and irregular if that makes any sense to you and grew rapidly extremely rapidly on his leg. That is the only dog I have dealt with cancer, so I have nothing to compare that too.

5. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

Any lump must be investigated and alas nobody will be able to tell you online what it is or isn't :(

I totally understand your worry and hopefully the vet will reassure you that it's nothing to worry about. My brother has a 13 yr old Lab and adores him and worries every time his boy so much as looks a bit tired. Fingers crossed you get encouraging news at the vet - keep us posted :)

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Lipomas the fatty lumps tend to be round smooth and pretty free moving in the skin they are totally benign but can grow quite big sometimes and depending on where they are can get quite intrusive so its better to get them removed. Its possible he could have a cyst something they can become infected and quite painful it is best to get it checked out and see what the vet thinks.

If he is scratching and itching a lot and losing hair its possible that it may even be unrelated. You can get skin mites that can be incredibly itchy and cause hair loss. Some you can see on sing scrapes but other like sarcoptic which burrow and live in the skin are often missed on skin scrapes.

Hormonal changes like Hypothyroid low production of thyroid hormones can also cause bi-lateral hair loss, and skin and coat infections and problems that is easily diagnosed by a blood test for a thyroid function panel.

7. j4nfr4n

j4nfr4n PetForums VIP

Years ago our rough collie Laddie used to have problems and behaviour similar to this and it turned out he was suffering with Serbacious Cysts we used to have to take him and have them removed. The one time due to the thickness of his coat we hadn't seen him bothering with one and he literally tore his skin off to try and stop the irritation thus ending up with a Hot Spot which in turn took what seemed like forever to heal :(

8. Barboo

Barboo PetForums Newbie

Oh gosh, that sounds horrible !
    My lab, is not scratching that bad..

I have felt his lump more, it's like a double fried egg, but long aswell. It's hard, also discovered a golf ball size one high up in his neck. But it's not bothering him at all. Apart from when your feeling it. Obviously. But these seemed to have come up quite quickly .

His fatty lumps, we had one removed when it was interfering with ligaments etc. but the vet said they would just keep coming back, so only remove when it's necessary.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice