Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Deaf little Kitten - Any hints and tips?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by eklektik, Jul 7, 2009.

1. eklektik

eklektik PetForums Newbie

Well ladies and gents...

I've recently acquired 2 little 8 week old kittens... a male and a female, but unfortunately the little boy is deaf...

He has signs suggesting no hearing at all.

Does anyone have a deaf cat and have any hints and tips for him as he grows up, We fostered a cat for a year who was deaf and managed to train her to respond to a small LED torch, she would feed etc when the torch flashed/come in with several flashes.

This little chap will be a house kitty as He's absolutely gorgeous so I think someone would try to take him, plus he wouldnt be able to hear cars coming etc.

2. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

hi!
    try send a private message to this member "turkeylad" as i think he has/ or had a deaf cat. congrats on your 2 new babies :D

3. Simba9952

Simba9952 PetForums Member

Hi,
    My parents have a deaf cat, although she went deaf over a period of two years. I don't think there is a quick fix for this, but my parents managed to retrain 'Abbey' to respond to hand movements (come back) and vibration (banging something on the ground). It took some time, but now Abbey will come in if she see's the hand movement and (if she's close) will look round when she feels the vibration.

Hope this helps, congrats on the kittens :)

4. LisaLisa

LisaLisa PetForums Junior

I have no advice to offer as I've never had a deaf cat, but just wanted to say good luck, hope it works out, and put some pics up :D

5. eklektik

eklektik PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone.... I'll post some pics up when I get home later this afternoon....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice