Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Deaf English Bull Terrier

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Eolabeo, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

hi everyone,
    i have 2 english bull terriers and 2 staffy bull terriers who i love very much.

anyways the reason for my thread is that one of my english bulls is deaf and was wondering if anyone else has a deaf dog/dogs and would like to tell me bout the things your dog/dogs know and can do.
    my deafy knows everything and all the signals i do she understands and pays attention, she does more for me when i signal her then my hearing dogs do for me when i tell them lmao.
    my deafy is deffo ( scuse the pun lol ) very unique and i know this sounds silly but shes like a little girl, (even my mum calls her the baby lol) shes that knowing its unreal, she is a very funny dog to watch play and she does the stranges little things ive never seen be4 in all my years of owning bullys, ild never ever be without her, she is my little shadow, my little soul mate, she is really my life and i cannot imagine my life without my little ethel. i name her ethel because it soulds like ( f, all ) and she obviously cant hear f, all lol (hope i dont get told of for saying the reason why i named her ethel hehe).
    she holds my hand all round the house when im cleaning, she takes my hand and walks me to the things she wants me to get her that she cant reach, she takes me to the cupboards she wants me to open for her to get something she is after out of that cupboard.
    she never takes her eye of me for a second, and just when i think ive slipped away for a minute i realise shes watching me through the dvd front cover coz its a mirror front lol or shes watching me through the tv reflection or window reflection so yeahhhh shes always spying and watching me to make sure i dont go anywhere without her lol.
    anyways i could go on and on so i best shut it now hehehe.
    hope to hear from others with deaf animals or even your hearings animals, let me know the crafty or strange things they do or get upto :)

2. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Glad to hear you are doing so well with your deaf dog. I have never owned a deaf dog personally, but have seen many trained at class, and blind or three legged dogs. Often the bond of a deaf dog with the owner is very strong.
    jen

3. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

yes u are so very right about the bond thing, she is so bad for me its unreal, ive had and got other dogs and altho they love me its not lik the love i have from ethel, i cant sit anywhere without her having to be with me, sometimes it can get abit to much but aslong as she touches me even if her back is leant up me shes happy lol, she cant sit or lay anywhere without being with me bless her cotton.

i heard so many storys about deaf dogs not making good pets and i as a deaf dog owner can say that is bull, she is one of the best dogs ive ever owned in my life and ild deffinatly concider getting another when i have more room in my home no doubt about it.

as long as you give the dog your time and put 100% into training them the signals they need to know then you will have the best dog in the world for life garanteed:p.
    xxxx

4. Vixen

Vixen PetForums Junior

She sounds like a gr8 dog

5. dh.dti

dh.dti Guest

It sounds like you have a real special bond with Ethel, it is very warming to read your post

6. Janice

Janice PetForums Newbie

She sounds lovely, I have a deaf cat and I always think that they have that something extra to compensate, I had my deaf cat who is nearly four because I didn't think any one would want him he is just such an affectionate and funny boy he also knows signs and will sit on my vacuum cleaner so that I can hoover him (the hearing cats all run away) he doesn't like being picked up though and screams the place down (he cannot hear himself) but I bet they can in the next road.

I always think that you get back what you put in and you clearly love your deffo as I do mine.

7. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

yep she really is a g8 girly and we both have a special bond :) little toad was nicking me grapes i got from town earlier lol, all was left was a few sprigs of vine and half a dozen grapes, im sure shes gonna go running to the garden later for sure hehe.

anyways
    it was very interesting reading about your deaf cat, sometimes their deafness can come in handy lol, like hoovering the cat lol, that made me giggle, but funny enough ethel likes the hoover aswell, i have my staff up on the sucker end trying to kill my hoover and loosing her tounge up the suck hole and ethel on the blowout end licking the air and slapping her lips, the other 2 just scarpa for their life lol.
    was interesting knowing that your deaf cat understands signals, thats well brilliant, ild love to see him pay attention to the signals lol, i bet its well funny and good watching a cat pay attention to signals x
    can he go out on his own? or do u keep him as a sort of indoor cat due to his deafness? if you don't let him out on his own then do you put him on a harness and take him out or do you just watch him in the garden if you have one?.

my 14 year old staffy is nearly deaf due to old age but as luck should have it all my other dogs have learnt ethels signals because its habit to do ethels signals when i tell my other hearing dogs to do something so they all know them lol, all except ozzy our 14 week old staffy, but he will learn no doubt about it,specially the food signal, greedy porkers all know that haha.

ty for your replys peeps :)

8. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Watch the grapes consumption, I believe they can be toxic for dogs, I think its 2 grapes per kilo of body weight.
    Jen

9. carol

carol PetForums VIP

sweet
    she trust you so much and depends on you and the bond is stronge
    congratulations deafness in dogs can be hard for owners you done a brill job

10. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

ty carol x

and yep the deafness is a handy thing when fireworks are going of thats for sure.

my 14 year old staffy who is now vertually deaf used to h8 fireworks bigtime, she used to pant so loud it use to over power the tv and thats no lie, she tryed to find little places to fit in and hide, she once jumped in the bath when my kids was in there lol and she h8s water ( thats going bk a few years) and she also got stuck under my bath once and i had to call the fire brigade out coz she got lodged bad so i suppose her being nearly deaf now is kinda handy in a way, as for ethel, shes never heard em so shes ok haha. :D

im lucky with ethel because she really hasnt been hard work, i suppose the dogs that havent had a good start in life or had the right training from people who never had a clue are the harder ones.
    i wouldnt mind trying to train one of them just to see how hard or easy ethel was to train lol.

11. emmalouise

emmalouise PetForums Newbie

I have a staffy boy and a deaf female english bullterrier. and what a strange dog she is, she is now a year and a half old. All my dogs have come from rescue and this one the same, the very prominent (and in my opinion criminal) breeder wanted her destroyed when she was found to be deaf rather than spay her and keep for a pet.

'Sheep' as we call her is very sweet and friendly to humans and other dogs, she likes to stay close to us, in fact touching. Recently she ripped off a claw on the beach, she wouldnt leave the foot alone which led to several trips to the vets. She made herself very ill by repeatedly worrying the foot but happily now after several head collars, steriods and bandages the foot has healed. Her behaviour however has stayed very strange. When shes off the steriods she will not make eye contact with us, and acts demented - there is no other word for it. Does anyone know what are characteristics of deaf dogs and which are breed characteristics?

She circles manically, she paces and chases shadows, will not make eye contact, without the head collar she now goes stright for her feet and really hurts herself.

Myself and our vet is worried about the thickness of her skull in relation to her brain as a pedigree EBT, anyone any experience of this?

12. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hiya - dont know nuthin about deaf dogs but I'd love to see some pics of her (and the rest of the mob!).

I love looking at EBT's, you just dont see many of them around here.

pics pics pics :D

13. gillieworm

gillieworm PetForums VIP

Hi Kay

White animals tend to be more prone to being born deaf due to the lack of pigment in their inner ear. This isn't exclusive to dogs, and can affect all other white animals such as cats, rabbits etc. Having Dalmatians this is one of the things that puppies get tested for (well reputable breeders anyway :rolleyes:). The test is called BAER (Brain Audible Electronic Response) and is usually done on puppies at about 5 weeks old. Deafness can occur in both ears, or just 1 ear and the test will be able to determine this.

Hope that helps :)

1 person likes this.
  14. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Only read the first thread.. But Our white Staffie was deaf..
    And he could sit, down and when out walking if I shook the lead he would lie down at the road.. He would walk on the lead and forget I was there then suddenly turn round and get very excited that he had just noticed me... I used to let him off with our other dog and he just used to gallop one way then back the other then back the other.. he used to come back to me.. I used to put my arms out as if to do a recall.. but sort of in the air.. then he would come galloping back.... He new not to jump up.. The only diff is they can't hear.. Oh If I left him alone like say I had to take the other dog somewhere he used to howl for England..

Also with us having laminate I reckon he could feel vibration so if he was doing something he shouldn't we could bang the floor and get his attention..:D

15. momentofmadness

Back to what you are saying.. Am I right, originally staffs do they have dalmation in them...

Also re the deafness I was lead to believe they were to be all white.. but our staffie had spots like a dally in his skin but not through to the hair..

I also have a white cat.. She has had several litters.. the blighter kept getting out.. Nearly all her kits were white but had a grey splodge on each head.. I was under the impression this meant they shouldn't be deaf.. (not one was anyway)

16. gillieworm

gillieworm PetForums VIP

I have absolutely no idea about staff having dal in them, although we call my sisters staffy a surregate dal because she has spotty skin :D

The most common cause of congenital deafness is pigment related. Some dogs have white coats, but still have pigmented skin (Samoyeds, West Highland Terriers, and White German Shepherds fall into this category). Although they have white fur, they have black noses and eye rims (their fur is actually not pure white, but a very light buff color). Other dogs normally have colored coats, and white trim (this includes Dalmatians; the white is actually not their real coat color, the "spots" are). The "trim" comes from areas of unpigmented (pink) skin, which produces white hair. If there is unpigmented skin in the inner ear, the nerve endings atrophy and die off in the first few weeks of the puppy's life, resulting in deafness. You cannot tell the color of hairs in the inner ear by looking at any visible part of the dog's ears (including the hair around the ear canal). Although many dogs with white hair on their ears can be deaf, many deaf dogs have colored ears as well.

momentofmadness likes this.
  17. emmalouise

18. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

Hmmm ethel makes eye contact wiv us all the time, coz our way of comunicating is thro facial expressions and hand signals,,,she also lip reads some words :) she lets us know if she wants something by staring at us or getting our hands to take us to wat she wants.

shes neva paced or circled manically tho, shes normal apart from some strange ways about her, like her funny voice lol, and the funny things she does to keep herself amused.... but its nothing worrying.

ethel comunicates brilliantly, shes very clever its unreal....she acts on site, vibration and shadows... but nothing ova the top...just normal behaiviour like a hearing dog would act like....if i want her, and her backs turnt to me, i just knock the floor and she looks around :)

ive put flood lites out my front and back for her so she knows wen people are coming up the path and does her guarding lol...ive tryed to make life as normal as ever for ethel :) and shes done brill :D

u dog is gorgeous btw :) i want it :D
    here is ethel.

#18 Eolabeo, Sep 18, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2008
  19. emmalouise

Ethel is cute looking, we have never encountered a dog like sheep with all this weird behaviour. Our other dog and the family dogs are just as mystified as we are by her. As you say about your dog, Sheep leaves us in no doubt she is highly intelligent and a fast learner, actually the most like her we have seen was on a dog behaviour tv show called dog borstal. It sounds aweful but euthanasia has come up at the vets as she is so manic sometimes. This is why ive been led to post online to see if anyone has any ideas.

20. momentofmadness

Oh I do like them.. I love there strong heads.. makes me think of a good working horse.. and I love them..:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice