Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Day at the zoo

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nicky10, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

So I was bored and it's a nice day, I decided to go to the zoo. If you don't know they inexplicably built Belfast zoo on the side of a steep hill :frown2:. I made it to the top once, back down to see the enclosures I'd missed like the cat walk, got to the bottom and realised I'd missed the monkeys. I had to go halfway back up and I didn't even particularly want to see the monkeys just the tree kangaroo they had beside them. Everything hurts but I had a great time although this is the second time I've gone wanting to see the capybaras and they weren't in the enclosure. I got a few probably not great photos I thought I'd post.

For the anti-zoo people probably already lining up to condemn me. The only signs of stress behaviour I saw were in the rescue elephants and one of the monkeys because some idiot children were banging on the glass while their parents stood and watched :mad:. In an ideal world we wouldn't need zoos, we don't live in that world we need the captive breeding programmes. One of the eagles they bred has actually been released back to the wild along with some bred in Norway. That should be the aim of the captive breeding programmes but it's not always viable of course.

Antelope of some kind a bleisbok I think
    [​IMG]

A terrible photo but I loved this. I was right beside these two antelope :001_wub: and they were completely unphased. I think this was a bongo but they were under trees so
    [​IMG]

Spider monkeys I tried to get a photo of the baby but he was moving too much. He was such fun to watch though
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An egret of some kind they had the species names up but birds aren't my thing
    [​IMG]

Moloch gibbons this one was staring right at me until I took the photo :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

His buddy was more cooperative
    [​IMG]

Chilean flamingoes
    [​IMG]

I've no idea what this one is but it looked interesting
    [​IMG]

Chilled out looking vicuna there was another as well
    [​IMG]

Lion-tailed macaque who was up at the glass checking out what everyone was doing
    [​IMG]

And the massive enclosure they had, most of the primates have something similar
    [​IMG]

Pygmy marmoset dad with twin babies :001_wub:
    [​IMG]

The western lowland gorillas they have a one year baby the first the zoo has bred in 16 years :thumbup1:
    Mum with baby hidden
    [​IMG]

The huge silverback there were idiot kids banging on the glass while the parents did nothing :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

An older infant
    [​IMG]

And the star attraction they had a sign up saying the gorilla house is closed during really busy times to give her and mum some peace
    [​IMG]

Two of the chimps
    [​IMG]

The gorgeous maned wolf
    [​IMG]

Lioness keeping a close eye on the humans. These are supposedly barbary lions which are extinct in the wild but afaik they've proven the species is completely extinct :(
    [​IMG]

The penguins they have gentoos and something else
    [​IMG]

The californian sealions there was one swimming as well
    [​IMG]

This little prairie dog was so cute digging around for something. They have a whole group of them who are rather infamous for digging out of the enclosure :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sleepy sumatran tiger
    [​IMG]

Penguin feeding as much as I hate the things it was quite cool to watch. They all stood patiently as the keeper handfed them in turn
    [​IMG]

Crowned lemurs I think... the sign said javan brown langurs but then that they'd moved them
    [​IMG]

The ever popular ring taileds
    [​IMG]

A terrible photo but the tree kangaroo that had me climbing halfway up a mountain again. They're only the second zoo in Europe to have these I think
    [​IMG]

There were others I saw and couldn't get a photo of the fossa that was only there for a minute, the african wild dog I only saw the ears of, the red pandas I could barely see and the camera couldn't find. But I'd rather the animals be able to hide away should they want to than be forced to be in the open all the time.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

You hate penguins? Seriously?

OMG mods ban pls!

3. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

There's a really long story involved and after that I can't help but find them sinister :frown2:

4. Britt

Britt PetForums VIP

They show the Dublin Zoo on TV all the time here. I love the big cats :thumbup1:

5. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That's somewhere I'd like to go to apparently they're very good.

6. lennythecloud

lennythecloud PetForums Senior

With respect signs of stress and abnormal behaviour are not always apparent if you don't know the species. Tree dwelling primates such as gibbons would not normally spend nearly any time at all on or near the ground but in zoos it's common as they don't have the room to brachiate much, many people wouldn't consider this a problem. Stereotypies in primates again can be subtle and not apparent unless you spend time watching them - head turning, regurgitation and over-grooming in excess can all indicate issues

I'm glad you had a nice day but that is all a zoo is really for - a nice day.

The primary purpose has always been and continues to be entertainment and the business built around that. Zoos as tools for conservation is a pretty new concept and not a very compelling one. Most animals in zoos are not endangered for a start. Most animals also don't have any trouble at all breeding in the wild, the issue is with habitat destruction, persecution, disease etc. Breeding animals a million miles away with no viable home to go to and with a limited gene pool is pointless, you're just creating a living museum (...Barbary lions). This is borne out by the fact that there have been very, very few long term captive to reintroduction success stories compared with the high rate of endangerment and extinction currently occurring.

7. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I understand the problems facing species and the limitations of zoos and captive breeding programmes. In a perfect world we wouldn't be the selfish species we are thinking that we can raze any habitats we want to make room for us and our domesticated species, there wouldn't be a fungus partially spread by the pet trade wiping out amphibians, trophy hunters and overhunting/fishing wouldn't exist and we'd be able to sort out global warming, ocean acidification etc. We don't live in that world.

Ideally the captive breeding programmes would be breeding and raising for release. But where can we release them to? Take lemurs for example and the oh so cute fossa. Madagascar has big problems with deforestation where exactly could we release them back to? A lot were recently reclassified as more endangered than previously thought partially for this reason.

Zoos are entertainment yes but they can and do help. People care more about animals they know, sure everyone's heard of chimpanzees but the oh so cute critically endangered cotton top tamarins beside them not so much. If someone goes for a family day out and comes away more aware of the issues surrounding these animals it's a good thing.

The gibbons and the other tree dwellers had plenty to climb on. Those likely aren't barbary lions of course given they've pretty much proven even the captive population is extinct.

#7 Nicky10, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice