Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Day 60

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Callie, May 24, 2010.

1. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

We are now on day 60 and still trying to be a master chef to amber!!!
    She is not taking it too well.
    We are back on the chicken tripe and brown bread with the odd carrot chucked in too(she is happy to eat these raw).
    I am still pretty concerned about the calcium thing for when she whelps. Have got the ice cream in the freezer all ready.
    Should I do anything else and at what stage can I give her calcium as a supplement.I am scared are bones will be weak as I am sure the pups have taken all her supplies from her.
    She is very slow and don't think the heat is helping.
    Temp getting taken and starting 4 hourly today. 37.3 at 8am
    Any hints and tips will be helpful.

2. Lucylewis0

Lucylewis0 PetForums VIP

I defo wouldn't give calcium supplement without speaking to your vet first! It could be very dangerous.
    Just keep doing what your doing hunni, my girl was a nightmare for eating at this stage too, she went on to have 5 very healthy puppies :thumbup:
    Ice cream is GREAT!!!!
    Not long now :thumbup: keep her water intake up and just enjoy chilling with her xx

3. nic76

nic76 PetForums Member

i have read you shouldnt mess with extra vitamins,so as Lucylewis0 said consult your vet. glucose water is good for whelping to keep up energy. you can make your own with water and sugar or you can by glucose and dilute it.Enjoy your pups when they arrive.

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Don't give anything other than food. Vets often prescribe calcium tablets but I will never ever give them. The only way to prevent eclampsia is NOT giving supplements during pregnancy. Eclampsia can only be stopped by IV or IM calcium. Tablets don't work.
    It is very normal for some to starve themselves through most of the pregnancy. Most bitches pick up eating after delivery and eat like gannets. Don't worry.

#4 Tanya1989, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  5. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Thanks. I haven't given any supplements just adapting my culinery skills. Think my kids feel a bit neglegted when it comes to the meal front!!!
    Tanya thanks for the tea tip for Amber eyes. Noticed a difference yesterday so keeping it up today.
    Am off work now for a week and hubby off for further 2 after me so think we are all set.
    Got the lady who own the stud we used coming up to give me a hand with whelp as she has bred for years although she only shows now. That is a bit of pressure off. Getting to the nail biting time.
    When should I start to sleep in same room as Amber?

6. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

I start from day 56 lol. So I'd start tonight.

7. Callie

Callie PetForums Senior

Will do!! Hope you're on the mend and taking it easy at home.
    Thanks for all the help so far...............sure a lot more will be needed!!!

8. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Thanks. Still in the prison (hospital) lol. But here to help xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice