Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Day 59

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Shawnie28, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Shawnie28

Shawnie28 PetForums Newbie

Hello, I'm new here and just wanted a little bit of advice. My cat got out around 59 days ago and is very obviously pregnant. This morning she has been sick and has spent alot of time in her nesting box but is still eating like she is starving. I can feel the kittens moving around at the bottem of her belly and between her back legs. There is no sign of a plug or any wetness around that area although the past week she has constantly cleaned herself. How long do you think she has left?

P. S she will be spaded after this litter and I already have good homes lined up for any arrivals. I understand me not getting her spaded straight away was irresponsible and I fully accept that but now it has happened I just need to make sure I have the best advice and tools to care for both mum and babies.

Many thanks

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

65 days is the average gestation but it isn't unusual for them to go to 70 days.

If you cannot pinpoint the exact day or days of mating (did she only escape for a day or was it longer?) all you can do is keep a close eye on her from around now and into next week.

3. Shawnie28

Shawnie28 PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your reply. She only escaped for one day, we found her surrounded by Tom's and had to shoo them away. Her nipples are enlarged and have no hair around them and she has been in her box all day, getting up to move around and then lieing back down. I can see the kittens moving and can feel them very low down. It's just a waiting game now I suppose.

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

This is why the advice is now to neuter by 6 months at the latest - very few females come into call before that age. 4 months is ideal but not all vets will do kittens at that age. This advice is for males as well.

The other bit of advice for anyone in this situation reading, is that the cat could have been spayed ASAP after being found with the toms. Conception doesn't happen for a week or so as cats are induced ovulators and it's getting mated that induces ovulation.

Also, getting her 'spaded' sounds rather a nasty accident with a garden implement. She will be spayed. :) And make sure you don't let her out until she is, however much she wants to go out. Female cats can get pregnant again while feeding kittens and I'm sure you don't want a second pregnancy.

iCatCare has excellent advice & information - read all the sub-pages at least once:

https://icatcare.org/advice/my-cat-having-kittens

5. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Oh dear :(. Unneutered males are often strays (simply because their behaviour isn't always compatible with being a pet indoors) and it would be wise to speak to your vet about testing her for FeLV and FIV at some point.

Hope all goes well for you, her and kittens

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice