Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Day 54 and counting

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Sophie1988, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Sophie1988

Sophie1988 PetForums Newbie

Hi all, so as the title says my 3 year old Labrador is 54 days pregnant. I’ve been on this forum every day for the past few weeks. This is my first litter. Here’s her story so far she had a rough start at 4 weeks she completely stopped eating (she’s a very picky eater) losing weight rapidly after a few days I whisked her down to the vet gave her antibiotics bland diet etc still wouldn’t eat so she was taken in with suspected pyometra opened her up she had an inflamed intestine and confirmed in pup definitely 4 maybe 5. In 4 weeks she’s gained 6 kilos and eating like a horse! So it’s just a waiting game really. I’m obviously very nervous and very excited. I’ve purchased my whelping kit her beds ready. I’m going to start sleeping on the couch from day 56. Any words of wisdom or advice from you lovely people.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm sure your Vet will have advised you, but you need to worm her on her fortieth day of pregnancy.

She should now be on a good quality complete puppy food.

Other than that, yes, it's a waiting game.

3. Sophie1988

Yep she’s on her wormer and on puppy food. I have been mixing an egg (sometimes scrambled) in it every couple days but I’m unsure whether too many eggs are bad for them?

4. Sophie1988

And what day is best to start taking her temperature?

5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I never took temperatures.

The signs of labour are obvious.

I really believe a pregnant bitch has enough to contend with without having a thermometer inserted several times a day.

Leave it to nature.

LinznMilly and niamh123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice