Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

David Davis Resigns

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KittenKong, Jul 9, 2018.

1. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. PetForums VIP

2. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

So my understanding is this is just one letter but there needs to be 48 letters before they consider calling a leadership contest. Its not even mentioned on the BBC news site so I assume they feel there is no appetite for it to gather support at the moment.

3. stockwellcat.

It might not happen as the 1922 committee declared they fully back Theresa May a day or two ago. It may just be noise from the back bench brexitier MP's.

4. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I've just mentioned it to my OH and he says if it only takes 48 letters he'll write one. He seemed disappointed when I pointed out they have to come from MPs :)
    Much as I can't stand the woman I think I'd rather stick with the devil we know and hope they just get on with the job we pay them to do. I'm getting thoroughly pissed off with all the messing around.

leashedForLife and stockwellcat. like this.
  5. stockwellcat.

I agree.

havoc likes this.
  6. stockwellcat.

I think those in charge of Brexit have
    1. Made a shambles of it
    2. Act like children in a play ground
    3. Have thoroughly made a spectical of this country.

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Can anyone think of any other job where a senior manager can choose to resign from the difficult bits but stay on in the company drawing a still ridiculous wage way above what most people earn and retaining a very generous expense account?

Talk about living in a rarified atmosphere where they have no idea of how people in the real world have to live.

leashedForLife likes this.
  8. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Having the 'full backing' of any authority figure or group is usually the kiss of death :)

stockwellcat. likes this.
  9. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

It takes 48 letters to the Chair of the 1922 committee, and he doesn't report on how many he's got until he's got 48.

Rees-Mogg's lot apparently don't want to trigger a leadership election because they haven't got the numbers in the Tory party to ensure that a hard-Brexiteer will get the gig. And if it came down to a General Election they might conceivably lose, even to Corbyn.

The expectation is now that the Tory Brexiters will disrupt government business in the hopes of getting the Chequers proposal 'hardened'. They presumably know that it will be rejected by the EU - and that's assuming that the current version won't - and that will push things closer to a No Deal hard Brexit, which is what they crave.

Whether they can then get No Deal through Parliament is another matter.

It's all a bit lot of a mess.

10. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Ain't that the truth. If Labour were even half decently organised government ministers wouldn't dare behave like this. The apology for the Labour party is living proof that it's good opposition makes good government.

Arnie83 and leashedForLife like this.
  11. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

That's what happens when you vote for a fantasy land.

Also in mind is they may get the job of delivering brexit. They don't want that, content to snipe from the sidelines, scapegoat May for whatever goes wrong and say "we would have made it work" after brexit is completed.

KittenKong, Arnie83 and havoc like this.
  12. leashedForLife

leashedForLife PetForums VIP

what a massive cock-up. :( So sorry for the turmoil all this will cause - economies are largely healthy based on stability & expectations; appearances & HOW PPL FEEL really do matter; scared markets go all over, anxiety & uncertainty are not good.

- terry

KittenKong and Arnie83 like this.
  13. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

Sorry but I disagree. I want this autocratic fascist like incompetent ousted even if I recognise her replacement will be the case of out of the frying pan and into the fire.

I remember my elation when Thatcher finally resigned.

14. stockwellcat.

Well prepare yourself for a wait as she isn't going to go down without a fight and believe it or not alot of MP's back her in her Party in Parliament and have made this known over the last few days including Rees Mogg even though he wants 3 amendments to the White Paper being published today.

#134 stockwellcat., Jul 12, 2018 at 9:37 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 9:54 AM
  15. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

Yeah I guess you're right. I can visualise her still being PM ten years from now to be honest.

I never thought we'd ever see the end of Thatcher when it happened.

Come to think of it, Thatcher's reign ended within months of England losing that World Cup semi final (Italia '90).....

#135 KittenKong, Jul 12, 2018 at 9:52 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 9:57 AM
  16. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

This is simply a continuation of the conservative party having an internal spat to the detriment of the country as a whole.

Arnie83, havoc and KittenKong like this.
  17. stockwellcat.

Not that long. Perhaps to the next GE depending on how things go.
    I think at the end of Thatchers time in power everyone was elated to see the back of her but the parties policies remained as Major took over.

18. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

Absolutely. Sometimes I get the feeling we've seen this all before.

It's because we have.

And Cameron thought the referendum would put a stop to it once and for all!

19. stockwellcat.

Regarding the comment on Conservatives internal spat. Labour are no different

20. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

Not quite. The Poll Tax was abolished for one thing that would never have happened if Thatcher stayed. It was as important to her as the immigration targets are to May.

That wasn't long before Potillo, I think it was, who said the Poll Tax was here to stay and people should make the best of it or words to that effect.

Sounds spookily familiar!

While I remember Michael Howard attempting to increase Tory support with the soundbite, "Conservative Councils Cost You Less (Community Charge)".

It's a bit like living in 1990 again though the music was a lot better then!

Yes, agreed they're spats in the Labour party too. As a pro EU supporter I'm as disollusioned by their own policy which is why I no longer support them (at present, ditch Corbyn and I might).

But I don't recall spats to the extent they were unable to govern due to the internal infighting.

Then, to be fair Labour haven't been in power long enough for this to develop.

#140 KittenKong, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2018 at 10:21 AM
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice