Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

David Davis Resigns

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KittenKong, Jul 9, 2018.

1. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

2. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

I agree with his reasons for quiting. Remainer May's proposal on Friday is a mockery to those that voted leave and remain alike. Parliament have already said that the White Paper is more than likely going to be rejected.

There might be a leadership challenge in the conservative party by the end of the day as Theresa May is strongly weak and powerless. There might be more resignations so keep an eye on the news.

This does not mean another General Election has to follow as that would be up to the new PM if this happens and not Parliament.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

4. ErsatzNihilist

ErsatzNihilist PetForums Member

Oh good, Raab. Sexist, workplace bully, less charisma than Davis if such a thing were possible.

On the other hand, he does support a second referendum - but it's not like we've got much time for that now. I just find it utterly crushing that this massively important thing is just a can that keeps getting kicked down the road.

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

It just keeps getting better [​IMG][​IMG]

KittenKong likes this.
  6. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

Indeed, but even the likes of The Guardian and Independent were reporting May's success in uniting the Conservative Party just before the weekend, let alone her cheerleaders at the BBC etc. It was all looking so good for her.

This will be seen as a major blow indeed

7. ErsatzNihilist

Really though, as embarrassing as this is for our Strong and Stable government, it’s a bit of a non-story.

Man who did pretty much nothing resigns, and all that.

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Problem isn't so much what he did or didn't do, but what message it sends the rest of the world. Currently only Trump is rivalling our government for the title of political laughing stock.

Brexit only ever stood a chance of working relatively well if we managed to find ourselves a bunch of clear minded, level headed and strong willed people to both handle it and convince all sides that their proposals (which, of course, can never be exactly what anyone acually wanted) could work. Whichever way people voted, I think we can all agree that's not happened, and also that it's unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future.

Still, at least I still have popcorn to hand!

LinznMilly and cheekyscrip like this.
  9. ErsatzNihilist

Yeah, we’re a joke. I’m not even vaguely nationalistic but even I feel a bit bad that we’re a laughing stock. But how is it going to improve? We don’t call politicians out on their rubbish (unless Richard bloody Madeley is on duty it seems). PMQs is just a bunch of people braying at each other, and it doesn’t matter how much anyone screws up, they always come back or suffer no consequences.

How many times during this Brexit debacle has a minister been caught out lying (sorry... misleading) parliament only for absolutely nothing to come of it. It’s mad.

I’m a remainer, but I know we’re leaving. Fair enough, it’s the way the vote went; but dear lord, I wish the people actually doing this thing actually came across as vaguely professional. In fact, forget professional - how about competent?

So frustrating.

Honestly, it’s times like this that make me think of the Hypernormalisation documentary by Adam Curtis. He posited that like the rest of us, the political classes are in retreat - unable to properly comprehend or clearly visualise the huge issues that face is. Instead they exist to hopefully find a way to steer us away from the darkest possible timeline.

10. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

#10 stockwellcat., Jul 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
  11. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

I sincerely hope you're right but she's survived this far, but arguably losing one of her , "Three Brexiters" is the most serious issue since losing the Tories their majority in last year's election. Yes Davis has been replaced but to the outside it gives the impression of a troubled and disunited government. May's crunch gathering on Friday was to show the world how united they were. It backfired.

A horrible thought is, if England win the World Cup this may be used to her advantage. With England in a patriotic glory that would be a perfect time to call another election gaining her a clear majority.

It worked for Harold Wilson in 1966.

12. mewtoo

mewtoo I speak cat language

It's absolutely the other way around.

Trump is well respected around the world, as he has been showing the masses (well, the ones who are not radical conformists) that it is their own leaders, governments, and status quo which are in the wrong.

The Chinese like to call Trump "Donald the Strong", whereas they call Trudeau (omg he is so progressive and tolerant!) "Little Potato".

We live in a corporatist-globalist system, in which the government, corporate media, and big business exist as one entity, working for their own benefit and the benefit of each other. Hence Trump, who is a nationalist rather than a globalist, and is anti-corporatist and pro-people, is constantly portrayed as stupid, evil, take-your-pick.

Radical conformists love to believe what they are given to believe, because this is a short-cut to thinking, but more and more people are rejecting the prescribed views and are using the internet in order to get to the facts of the matter.
    Therefore Trump is becoming more popular, whilst the globalists and corporatists such as UK government, EU, Canadian government, etc, are becoming less popular.

Trump would have taken us out of the EU immediately, and THEN negotiated with them. We don't have Trump though; we have globalists. Globalists are the enemies of people of European heritage, and this is why we have the current Brexit shambles. They never had any intention of honouring the vote. Like I said, the government, corporate media, and big business work for themselves and for each other; the people do not come into it. Globalists always make the people vote again if they make the "wrong" choice. If they cannot make us vote again, then they ignore our choice.

13. mewtoo

Further to this......

President Trump will arrive in the UK in four days' time.
    Given that Boris has now resigned, and more will probably follow, I wonder if Trump will be meeting old Treason May, another traitor shoe-horned in to replace her (as she was to replace the traitor Cameron), or perhaps - and dare I even imagine this - someone who isn't a traitor much if at all.

14. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

They are falling like milk bottles, are they lining up for a leadership contest? I don't think the country could take another election just yet so if they can't sort themselves out I think we should clear the whole lot out and start again.

15. rottiepointerhouse

Bookies slash the odds of a General Election being called this year
    Bookmakers have slashed the odds of another General Election being called this year in the wake of David Davis' shock exit.

Ladbrokes said they were offering odd of 11/2 shot on Sunday night, but on Monday morning these had been cut to just 5/2 - the biggest market mover in recent months.

Meanwhile, Coral slashed the odds on another UK EU referendum before 2020 to just 2-1, from 3-1.

While William Hill says Theresa May is 1/3 to face a leadership challenge at any point before the end of the year.

KittenKong and stockwellcat. like this.
  16. rottiepointerhouse

Now will Michael Gove fall on his sword?

17. mewtoo

Whatever happens, we as a country have already sewn the seeds of our own destruction. The Brexit vote showed that there is some hope, but hope isn't going to save us.

If we get another Conservative government, then it will be a managed decline leading to warfare in probably about 30 years.
    If we get a Labour government, then the collapse will come sooner, with warfare in about 20-25 years.

If people can magically wean themselves off voting LibLabCon just for once, then we might be able to stave off the warfare and instead have some limited civil conflict instead, followed by rebuilding and a safe, prosperous society.

We shall see.

18. rottiepointerhouse

Or failing that vegans will take over the country and bring in new laws of daily meditation and peace/goodwill to all thus saving the world from imploding. Wake me up when its all over :Joyful:Joyful

LinznMilly likes this.
  19. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. Banned

KittenKong likes this.
  20. mewtoo

Haha.
    An army of vegans with potato guns.

rottiepointerhouse likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice