Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dave's not well

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Mar 23, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I've noticed over the last wee while his rash on his underneath (at the bottom of his ribs) has started to come back.

Tonight his face skin is darker pink than usual, his getting a rash under his front legs too :(

I am going to feed him absolutely exclusively skinners and see if it calms down.

If not then he is going to have allergy testing.

It's nothing he has walked on... cause when he goes on heather or cut grass it happens on his tummy and between his toes.

:cryin: my poor boy!

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Awwww poor boy. maybe its an allergy.

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I hope it's just something he's eaten.

He has been having a few pigs cheeks lately maybe it's that. If the rash dies down when he is eating nothing but his dog food, I am going to give him a few pigs cheeks and see what happens. I kinda hope it is that, cause then I will know. But I hope it isn't because he loves them!

4. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Poor Dave, fingers crossed for something simple and avoidable causing the rash xx

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Hopefully it is something he has eaten.

My oldest whippet goes like that when he has raw chicken. A friend kept telling me he had developed an allergy to his complete food and I should feed him just chicken but as soon as I took him off the chicken it went away again. He is fine to have the odd chicken wing as a treat just not to have it all the time.

6. Sheen and Eli

Sheen and Eli PetForums VIP

Could it be pollen now the weathers starting to warm up. Have noticed my hazels have catkins on them. Is the season that far along up north :)

7. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Sounds like a grass allergy, try giving him half a piriton and see if that helps. Also try putting some savlon on his tummy, this can help.

Phoenix gets this, but he only gets it while running through crops.

Porly Dave, maybe he's getting you back for buying his sister a new collar ;)

#7 Phoenix&Charlie'sMum, Mar 24, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  8. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Awww poor Dave :(

I have no ideas or suggestions, but I wanted to say I hope his skin improves/feels better asap

I have no shame in admitting DAVE is my FAVE, on pet forums, his soo cute

9. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

poor Dave...hope gets better soon..i use tablets for dry skin with evening primrose oil and they seem to work for Scrip who had some rashes and skin problems..get wellsoon...

10. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Day one of skinners exclusive diet (had to re start today because one of them managed to get into the dog treat drawer yesterday and I am positive it was him because his poo was green!! today but they also had a bone afterwards (a proper raw bone).

His rash is worse than it was lastnight but his nose isn't as dark pink.
    I will try and take some pics later.

It isn't bothering him, though I have no idea how because it doesn't look nice :(
    Is it worth putting some cream on it or do I want to leave it a few days, seeing as its not bothering him, to see if it goes away?

11. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

Oh noooo. Is he ok in himself?

If it is allergy then you could give him Piriton. Your vet can tell you the dose and then you can buy it over the counter from chemist loads cheaper than the vets will sell it to you for. My friends staffy is permanently on Piriton and he gets it over the counter at the chemists.

Get well soon Dave xx

12. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Yeah he is his normal self.

He is alergic to something, probably maize, in most dog foods and is on hypoallergenic.
    He is allergic to cut grass and heather.

I'd been giving a few pigs cheeks recently so wondered if it might be that.

If it clears up then my plan was to give him a couple of pigs cheeks and see if it comes back.

If it doesn't clear up then I think we will see what allergy tests the vet can do because I want to know what it is so I can avoid if possible.

13. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Today he has the runs :(
    I am hoping that is just the rest of all the dog treats he ate the other day clearing out.
    But that's why I gave him his bone... cause he firms up alot with a bone so why would he still have the runs?

He is in the kennel because he dropped his bone to steal Dixie's ball and then went for her because she was near his bone and he bit her face :( They are usually fine to have a bone but cause my son was ignoring me and playing with Dixie, Dave was interested in the ball. Grrrr. Son is currently on the naughty step for not doing as he was told and now Dixie has a bloody eye :(

14. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

What bone was it?

Rupert can't handle beef or pork which are difficult for dog's to digest and apparently depending on what a lamb has been fed on the copper content can vary quite wildly or something because I was told to beware of Rupert eating lamb as a result.

Things will look up, don't worry :)

ETA: Allergy testing can cost a fair old bit if you want to treat the allergy with vaccinations and not just try to avoid (some things you just can't avoid, like pollen etc comes in through open doors windows :(). My vet a few weeks ago said roughly its a couple hundred £'s for either a blood or a skin test, vaccinations are then up to about £200 for a 10 month supply, about 60% dogs respond well to them about 40% dogs don't. Sometimes you can stop after two runs (20 months ish) of vaccine, sometimes keep it going on and on else the problems just come back etc. I think it varies quite wildly and the blood test is seen as a fair bit kinder to the dog and I think the initial outlay is a bit cheaper than the intradermal skin tests.

He also said some things can't be vaccinated for and some allergens are unable to be detected by the tests. If I remember rightly I think blood tests are meant to be better for food related problems and skin tests for atopy type things (environmental). Sounds like Dave is similar to Rupert though suffering with a bit of both.

How old is Dave and when did he have his first reaction?

#14 GoldenShadow, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  15. shells

shells PetForums VIP

oh dear you have your hands full, i hope you get to the bottom of this and that dave ios ok hun big (((((hugs)))))

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

It was a cow bone. He's had hundreds of them before and never had a reaction to them but he did eat two packets of dog treats the other day (and I know it was him cause his was the only green poo Lol).

He was about 7 months when his skin started flaring up, I put him onto chudleys junior food and had to quickly change him onto skinners because his nose was red raw :(

Since then he has only flared up when we walk in long grass, but he loves doing that so I just shower him when we get back. Then we went a walk up a big hill and he was lying on heather and when we came back he had all tiny wee bits of it stuck in his skin that made him have red spots and rash in between.

His skin has flared up a few times since then, hes now 2, but it always goes away shortly after and never gives him any bother.

It's worse on his chest today than it was yesterday :( and his face is still a bit darker pink than it usually is.

17. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I guess as he's got quite short fur maybe he doesn't have too much protection in that respect when he goes running through grass. Rupert just gets his ear problems when he has a reaction and itchy but to be fair he has an awful lot of fur hence it probably doesn't get very close to his skin.

Has he needed vet treatment to shift the problems and have you tried piriton? Rupert needs steroid injections to sort his ears out which is another reason for my looking into allergy testing and vaccination, his ears just don't improve without veterinary intervention and I don't want him having meds if he doesn't need them.

18. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

My Sister's Staffy (Very fair / non existant hair on tummy) suffers form a grass allergy. When she is at my sisters she is on Piriton reguarly in the summer.

She came to stay with us last summer and as we are in the countryside and walk on fields every day we had to double her dose. (The vet said she can have up to 4 a day i believe). It was really obvious the difference from altering her dose and was clear the poor girl really struggled without her Piriton but then she has such little hair on her tummy its really open to any sort of reaction. I felt soooo bad walking her on the fields as after the first day she was with us she was quite red and sore bless her. But it quickly cleared up once we upped her medication :) When the weather is warmer she has it daily thus she is know on Boot's own brand as Piriton is very expensive!

The vet's offerred my sister tests to see what she is allergic to but they were going to cost hundreds :eek: and in this particular case it was quite obvious it was grass.

I really hope you can identify the cause of Dave's irritation, and it's definately worth speaking to the vet to find out what you can give him.

Good Luck

19. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thank you :)

Yes he hardly has any hair on his chest and tummy.

If it doesn't clear up on this skinners exclusive diet then we will be going to the vet to see what we can give him.

20. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

It may help for him to wear a doggy t shirt to prevent skin contact with the grass/heather etc when he's out. He's very light coloured and it would also protect him from the sun. Pippi wears lightweight t shirts in summer to prevent her getting sunburn because she's white and her fur is very thin.

I'm not into dressing dogs up all the time to look cute, but if there's a practical reason it makes sense to me :)

Get well soon Dave xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice