Dating sites - a weird world to be in......

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Mirandashell, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Mirandashell

Mirandashell It wasn't me.

Well, my third day and it's been an experience! I've been chatting with one really nice guy who I am hoping is what he says he is. I'm making notes as we go along in case he slips up (and cos my memory is rubbish).

There was one guy who I was getting along with well until I mentioned gay friends and he dropped me like I'm a slimy rock.

Another who was really pushy about meeting up. I told him that and the following happened:

Him - No you're right, I'm sorry. We will take it at your pace

Me - Thank you

Him - I would still love to meet up though.

:rolleyes:

There was one who said I would have to go to his house cos he's allergic to dogs. I said it was love me, love my dog and he replied that it didn't mean we couldn't shag at his house. :Facepalm

#1 Mirandashell, Jan 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums Resident Evil.

Yeah well, just remember. If you should ever get disillusioned with the site you're using at present, it might be worth noting, Screwfix.com is not a dating site.

Mind you, having said that, it's where I just happened to have met MrsZee. :Wacky

3. CuddleMonster

CuddleMonster PetForums VIP

It's good you're taking notes. Be careful and listen to your gut feeling - I had one friend who fell for a guy online who was supposed to be getting over a traumatic divorce which was the reason he didn't want her to go to his house because his wife had cheated on him with his best friend and he didn't want his new relationship to be 'tainted' by painful memories etc, etc. Once she was completely besotted with him, she found out that the reason he hadn't wanted her to go to his house was because his wife was still living in it, completely unaware that her husband was looking to replace her!!! So much for the 'painful divorce from unfaithful wife'!!!

cheekyscrip, MiffyMoo and Sproglet like this.
  4. Mirandashell

Dear god! I shall make a note of that one. 'See house before commitment'.

CuddleMonster likes this.
  5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Be wary of the I'm separated/I'm getting a divorce ones.
    Avoid my wife dosen't understand me ones. :mad:

6. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Lucky you @Mirandashell: who says the age of romance is dead!!

PickleRoo, Sairy, FeelTheBern and 4 others like this.
  7. Mirandashell

Yep, making sure I avoid those.

kimthecat likes this.
  8. JenKyzer

JenKyzer PetForums VIP

Good luck :)
    I have friends who have successful dating site stories... and some who have scary stories to tell about them :p

kimthecat likes this.
  9. Mirandashell

Well, I'm hoping to find someone good but I'm aware there will be a fair amount of trawling first. My ex taught me what I don't want in a man so that's helpful.

10. Kimmikins

Kimmikins PetForums VIP

One of my best friends met her husband online, so it is possible :) Like others have said, trust your gut and be as picky as you want!

Sairy, LinznMilly and kimthecat like this.
  11. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Keep us updated on the funnies..

Where have these guys been? Id rather hear them trying chat up lines than watch most of what passes for comedy on tv these days..

LinznMilly likes this.
  12. Mirandashell

It is funny how many people take profile pics in the bathroom cos it's the only mirror in the house. So the picture is always badly lit and they are looking down at the phone to see how they look rather than at the mirror. I think lessons in taking selfies should be put on the internet!

dorrit likes this.
  13. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Ive not tried dating sites, but know a lot of people who have, quite a few have finally met nice guys and in long term relationships, but you do have to be careful and keep your wits about you, and also be prepared for dissapointments.

They do also tell you on most sites to ensure you meet in a public place every time, until you know who and what your dealing with. There will be ones that are genuine but its finding them, you will also get the ones who are looking for a good time and a leg over. Some are also not what they seem and what you think they are too.

lullabydream and LinznMilly like this.
  14. Mirandashell

I don't mind the ones who admit up front they are after Friends With Benefits or a quickie in the car. That makes them easy to avoid! It's the sneaky ones I am on alert for.

You also get a few who can be quite aggressive about being faked on the site. One guy put on his profile 'If you are yet another FAKE or SCAMMER then F**K OFF! ' I thought 'hmm..... bad temper is always attractive. Not.'

WillowT likes this.
  15. KittenEevee

KittenEevee Crazy Cat Lady

I met a guy on match and he was lovely, said all the right things and I really enjoyed talking to him and was so exicted to meet, we met and I cant remember how the date went, not very good I dont think. I then got a facebook message from his fiancee telling me to leave him alone. I did not know he was engaged, anyway they broke up. Funny thing is now he is engaged to an old friend's sister and they are due to get married soon. I don't exactly know if I should mention anything because they look very happy, if he did it with that girl with me. I wonder if he is doing the same to her. They look very happy.

16. Mirandashell

That's a tough one. I would stay out of it TBH.

17. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

My daughter met her man on tinder, I haven't questioned her on how many she rejected before she got to him, or what attracted her to him for that matter. Anyway after 'going out' with him for about 18 months she moved in with him last summer. We've met him a few times now and he's very nice, so they are out there.
    Keep swiping, you'll find one

18. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Then again he could have more then his fare share of shady women they do exist too. Who make a career out of it.
    Someone I know had a date, he turned up looked her up and down and then said your not my type and left total of 30 seconds if that. Another left in the middle of a meal threw the his share of the bill on the table and left.

lullabydream likes this.
  19. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Best of luck with it :) takes lots of sifting but there are some lovely genuine people on them. One of my best friend's met her now fiance on POF, he's a really nice guy and they're very happy. She told us similar stories to yours, we used to have a good laugh about it but some of them were a bit scary!

20. Mirandashell

Oh I'm not saying he's wrong. There's definitely fakes and scammers on there. It was the public display of temper that made me wonder what he was achieving.