Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

"Dated" dog names, any you would use?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Amethyst, Apr 1, 2011.

1. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Dog names like human ones seem to go in and out of fashion.

Some of the "old ones" we seldom or never hear now, such a Butch, Fido, Lassie, Judy, Shep, Trixie and I am sure more.

Would you ever consider using a "traditional name" or maybe your dog has one?

I used to know a lovely dog called Judy and might use that one day :eek:

2. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

We have a few Trixies, a Shep and a Judy on our books at the Salon but must admit not common. Same as Troy and Zack. Use to know loads, not so many now

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

No, but not because they're dated, I prefer more unique dog names. I would like to use some artists names, we were going to call our rescue 'Goya' (after the artist Francisco Goya) but he was called Lex and we liked the Superman connection :) The other is called 'Ernie' and it suits him, not that unique but he's like a little old man and people seem to find it an amusing name. I think Dalí (Salvador Dalí) would make a cool name for a dog...

4. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Our Collie x was called Benji, he sadly had to be put to sleep a couple of months ago, but I love some of the old names and I think if I had another dog I would have to see if he/she looked like a Lassie, Toby, Bob, Shep, Judy? alot of people make their own names up too dont they. x

5. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

My great aunt had a rough collie named Laddie, does that count as an old name?

6. Hector's Mum

Hector's Mum PetForums Newbie

I like old names for dogs.

We have an 11 year old collie x flat coat retriever called Bob, we have had since a puppy. He got his name because the year before I was pregnant with my third child and to help the two younger ones (5 & 6) bond with the baby, we called the bump Bob. My hubby wouldn't allow me to call the baby Bob, so when a year later we got a puppy, there was only one name for him. It is very apt now, as he only has three legs, so when he walks he bobs along :rolleyes::

We now have Hector. Ever since I caught sight of an Italian Spinone, I wanted one and Hector just popped into my head as a name for him. :D

7. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Indeed it does, we had Laddie many years ago :)

8. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I always said my first border collie would be called Fly after my uncles first one who lived to 21 (I was 16 when he passed).

I prefer unusual non human names myself but I suppose Barney was an old name although still commonly used.

9. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

The farm we used to holiday on had a Border Collie bitch called Fly, beautiful natured girl, had forgotten about her :(

10. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

We've got a cockeral called Kevin:rolleyes:

11. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Ooo I think Shep I might use one day

Sheba is another common old one

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I used to see way more Brandy and Shandy's then I do now. Also remember alot of Benji's, Sheba's.
    I prefer human names, not so much old fashioned or modern but classic. (although if I ever get a wire haired Daxie Im gonna call it Olive!):)

13. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I suppose it all depends on the dog. Years ago I told the girls that when I/we............ok I, had the time to devote to a dog, it would be called Mutley, but then we had Arnie and Mutley didnt seem the right name for him. I still hold out that I will get a dog one day that will be called Mutley, just as hubs holds out for one that will suit the name Nobby. :eek: :D :D

14. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

We looked at getting a little tri coloured border terrier x when we were looking for our 2nd dog and we were going to call her Petra :)

Unfortunately she bit Tiger when they were introduced and made his leg bleed so we decided not to go for her. We toyed with calling Ruby (which is also quite an old fashioned one lol) Petra but it didn't suit her :)

My old dog was called Buster :)

15. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

My other half wants a dog to be called Rex :)

16. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

1 of my boys name is Bertrum, called Bert or Bertie for short.

17. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

I know a dog called Mutley.. a JR and then there is Amos who is a border terrier

18. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Oh the MIL wanted Arnie to be called this. Erm. no, he's deffo not a rex. :rolleyes:

19. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

I always said if I had a female dog i would call her Fanny, It's an old english name i will have you know lol. I would just love to see people's reactions at the park or when the vet calls her name in the waiting room:D just my sense of humor

20. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Don't forget Rover, and Spot. And Rex. I like dogs to have proper human names, like Roger or Colin. Know one called Dennis. I think that is much more personal. Mind you Bruce was always popular for dogs as well.

I won't tell you what my mother used to call all her black dogs, or it will be asterisked out:eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice