Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Daschund's & Guinea Pigs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jamie7601, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Jamie7601

Jamie7601 PetForums Newbie

After doing a few dog surveys, I've found that the daschund is the best dog for me, personality-and-size-wise. However, one problem is that I have guinea pigs, and I am not sure how the daschund will cope with them? On one hand, I've heard daschunds naturally hunt rodents, and on the other I've seen videos and pictures of daschunds sitting alongside guinea pigs without any problems.

The piggie's cage is way higher than the daschund's reach - but we do take our guinea pigs out on the living room floor a lot - to roam free. I also have hamsters, but they are always in secure confinements and under watch when they are taken out to play.

The daschund will be a puppy, so I don't know if we could teach it not to harm the guinea pigs. I guess we could always just shut the door when the piggies are having free time, and if the worst comes to the worst, choose another breed.

What do you think? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. zedder

zedder PetForums VIP

Hi we have guinea pigs to with a border collie puppy and he is constantly trying to herd them but they pay no notice of him which frustrates the dog I would not have them out with the dog around I'm sure he wouldn't purposely kill them but he probably would accidentally.

3. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I have had dakkies for the past 25 years and all of them would never be trusted with anything small and furry.

It may just be the particular ones I have had but I have not been able to have a kitten in the house because of this.

I have just 1 dakkie now and his favourite game is to kill the hoover and attack sca electrix and anything small he can chase.

My old girl died 3weeks ago......she liked hunting mice, killed chickens, attacked geese.The boy we still have isn't as bad as she was but I would never trust him anywhere near something small and furry.

My daughter has a 10 year old female dakkie and that isn't quite as bad as my old girl was but they had to rehome rabbits for the same problem.

Dakkies are great little dogs, all ours have always been great with kids.

4. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Personally I'd never 100% trust any dog alone with small furries.
    2 of my small dogs are terrier mixes and when we had guinea pigs (the guinea pigs came first) they were obsessed with them :rolleyes:
    They would watch them like a hawk and circle their run - I did a lot of training to try to get them to ignore the piggies, but I never managed to do it :eek:
    Personally I would train your pup to settle in his/her crate with a yummy chew/stuffed kong whilst you have the piggies out and not expect them to interact at all.

5. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I have guinea pigs and chickens outside... and have a Jack Russell... no problems... although the piggies are in an elevated hutch, they were in the run on the grass a lot over the summer and little attention was shown. She was quite interested for the first week and then they were ignored...

6. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

My dachshund has always been fine with my animals, I have chinchillas and rabbits, and used to have 2 piggies too, and she was always fine around them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice