Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dark marks spreading across nose

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Thintin, May 1, 2019.

1. Thintin

Thintin PetForums Newbie

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

If you are certain that its not dirt or caused by dried food particles it would be a good idea to take her to your vet to have it checked especially if she is a cat with outdoor access .
    Cats (and other animals) with white ears/noses can be affected by the sun just as humans can.

chillminx and lorilu like this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

When I saw your title I thought it was going to be normal freckles appearing, but I'm not sure that is. I agree you should have her looked at by the vet. Please let us know what you find out. What a precious girl.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Thintin and welcome :)

I agree with lorilu and buffie, it would be advisable to get your vet to check out the marks on your cat's nose as soon as you can. As Buffie said, cats with white fur on their faces and/or ears and pink nose leather are at risk from solar dermatitis caused by sunburn/sun damage.

If your cat is an indoor only cat, perhaps she is spending hours lying on a window sill in the hot sun? Normal glass blocks UVB rays but not UVA rays which can still burn and cause sun damage.

5. HappyKitty

HappyKitty PetForums Member

Has your cat had a change in diet Someor become less agile? Some foods may be more likely to stick to the nose or can't be reached. If not, worth getting the vet to check

6. Thintin

Thintin PetForums Newbie

Thanks every one for your comments. I'm going to try some warm soapy water to rule out food or sone other dirt, then if it remains I'll take her to the vet.

Update: it washed off with some elbow grease and a wet wipe, so it looks like it was just food! Dirty girl lol.

#6 Thintin, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    SusieRainbow and lorilu like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Thanks for the update! What kid of dishes do you feed her in? Maybe something shallower is needed?

8. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Thintin - you mentioned in your first post the dark marks were "slowly spreading across the hairline on the bridge of her nose". By which I understood you to mean it has been happening over a period of time. If so, it is unlikely to be dried on food, always in the exact same place.

If the marks do come back again over the course of the next few weeks please don't rub them off, but get her seen by the vet. As mentioned, cats with white face fur and a pink nose are at risk of getting cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma which can affect the ears and the end of the bridge of the nose (i. e. the places where there is very little protective fur.)

The dark marks did look very like the marks I have seen on the noses of cats who have got sunburned. I hope I am wrong in the case of your cat. :)

#8 chillminx, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 4, 2019
  9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Oh goodness, you make a good point. It could have been scabby bits, not food, that got scrubbed off.

#9 lorilu, May 1, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    chillminx likes this.
  10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As chillminx has said above the marks on your cats nose do look very similar to those caused by over exposure to sun on the sensitive areas of skin where there is white fur.
    I say this from experience as I had a semi feral cat who moved in with us years ago.
    He had spent a long time living rough and sadly developed squamous cell carcinoma on one of his ears which had to be removed.
    In the beginning it looked like crusty dirt and "washed off" but kept coming back and eventually started to bleed when touched.

lorilu and chillminx like this.
  11. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi there, yes I have seen this before, or rather I see it daily on one of my cats. I have mentioned it to the vets and had no comment from them over it, but my cat has some complex medical conditions and I suspect that your cat may also have an underlying medical condition. Have a think about whether you’ve seen any signs of illness with her over time and mention this to your vet. Of course if could be something different. Occasionally my cat’s spreads into her nostrils as well.

Attached Files:

12. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

That’s not food!

13. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Gosh! That looks very similar! I doubt it’s food too! I’d say a vet visit is a good idea. As already suggested try a flat plate rather than a bowl for her food just to eliminate this as a cause.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice