Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dangers of ponds :(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by deb53, Jun 21, 2010.

1. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Just had a mad panic rush to London to help my poor nephew.

Harrydog is 14/15years Rough collie. Very arthritic. He was bred by myself.

In their garden they have a large pond. Not very deep, max 2 1/2 feet at the shallow end.

Harrydog has never even as a pup fallen into the pond although he does sometimes drink from it.

My sister and hubby had to take eldest nephew to Potsmouth today so nephew came home from school at lunch to let Harrydog out. When he went to go back he saw Harrydog in the pond.!!! He may have been in there for
    half an hour!!!!. He is a real large boy and a thick heavy coat. There was no way he could lift him out and because of Harrydogs legs he couldnt climb or jump out or in fact help himself.

Luckily nephew had mobile on him and phoned his Mum and then me. RSPCA wouldn't help, so fire brigade came to help.

By this time he may have been in there for an hour and his legs had given way. Nephew laid on the floor with his head held above the water.

I got there just as he was out, shivering, pale and not able to stand. Rushed him to the vets who put him on a drip. They do not think he swallowed too much water luckily but is suffering from hypothermia.

He's a poorly boy at the best of times with his arthritis and I'm just praying he pulls through. The vet assures us he will.

Think the moral of the story is never say never. We think that where the pond has evaporated and the level is lower than usual he toppled in head first trying to get a drink.

What a bloody afternoon it has been :(

2. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

How awful, and thankfully your nephew was quick thinking. I really hope Harrydog pulls through. :(

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Oh the poor boy!! :(

4. Mum2Alfie

Mum2Alfie PetForums VIP

Awww hun, life is testing you!! I hope he is ok poor thing!!

Good job they werent that long when they went out.

5. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

Thankyou...yes really do hope so. Nephew is beside himself. The vet reckons he will just be in over night.

Yes he's a special boy. He helped my eldest nephew to learn to talk as he has special needs and would only talk to Harrydog.

6. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Omg hun. I really hope he pulls through.

7. rona

rona Guest

Someone I know lost one of their old dogs when it fell in their pond :(
    Always safer to get them fenced off when the dogs get old.
    Hope the old fellow is ok, a nephew gets over the shock

8. deb53

deb53 PetForums VIP

O Rona I know Hun its broken my heart seeing him and all because they thought he wouldn't fall in but he's a crotitchy old man now.:(

It was covered when the kids were small so God knows when it was taken off :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice