Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dangerous Yorkie

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by the flintstones, May 2, 2011.

1. the flintstones

the flintstones PetForums Member

Hi eveyone.
    I have 4 dogs ranging in age from 3 years old down to 13 weeks, they are 2 Rotties Bam Bam who is 2 , Dino who is 15 months.
    2 JR pebbles who is 3 and Fred who is 13 weeks.
    I was walking the 2 Rotts down an alleyway that is overgrown that leads to the local fields , my Rotts are on leads as you cant see who is comming towards you and is near a busy road.
    As we are walking I see a woman and running towards me is a Yorkie off lead.
    I squeeze into the undergrowth and put my Rotts into a sit allowing room for the dog and owner to pass . The Yorkie spies the Rotts and flys at my boy , he woofs loudly at the dog it then turns on my girl and is hanging from her neck, bless my Bamsy she is fab she is wriggling to get it off . Ive got my boy behind me and the woman runs up to her dog and sprays it with something and it lets go and retreats, she grabs it and it gets away from her and has another go and this time my bitch air bites at the dog.
    This happens so quicky I am stunned , she apologises and go s off . i check over my dog , no damage done and go home.
    I then saddle up my two Jacks and repeat the journey, i let off my two they are happy doing what Jacks do............... Low and behold in the distance there is the bloody Yorkie off lead heading towards my two at a rate of knots. I recall them quickly throw on the leads, the woman is screaming at her dog, it launches at my older Jack and she will not stand any nonsense and go s back .
    Im screaming at the woman saying how can she let her aggresive dog off the lead after what it did to my other two.
    The woman makes no attempt to get her dog off of mine, so I kicked her dog off , she went mental and said she was going to kick me !!!
    I lifted up my sunglasses and she must have had second thoughts because my face said it all .
    I told her to keep her dog away from mine because if her dogs go for mine again I will report her .
    After the incident I was speaking to others and they said the dog dosnt like dogs on leads ......... well that dog should be muzzeld and kept on a lead.
    If it was my Rotts behaving like that I would have the police at my door by now.
    Sorry for long post.
    Fiona x

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I really, really understand what you are saying, having had a very similar incident with a border terrier who actually caused a few cuts to my RR's nose and belly; the owner wasn't too concerned as he was only little. If my breed or your rotts with their (totally undeserved :mad:) reputation had done the same there would be serious repercussions.

Around here there are loads and loads of aggressive small dogs whose owners either find the aggression 'cute', funny or of no consequence or blame the fact you have a big dog as 'they don't like big dogs'. They certainly do not see the aggression as a problem. I am not trying to tar all small dog owners with the same brush at all or say all owners of large dogs are responsible but I do think that many owners of larger breeds have more awareness of aggression both shown by or towards our dogs as if they were to retaliate then they are quite capable of killing a small dog.

Hope your blood pressure is back to normal and you can be proud that your rotts behaved so well :).

3. Sparkle

Sparkle PetForums Senior

How awful but good on your doggies

I have a very dominant bitch who tells every dog she meets off there's a lot of yapping and growling and eventually she shuts up and wants to be friends. She doesn't like BIG dogs at all she hates them. I dont let her off lead because she would end up getting herself killed (funny enough she is better behave when alone and not with my other dog) I'm working with her to overcome this but failing miserable:

The owner of the dog is lucky yours were well
    Behaved she won't
    Be so lucky next time :(

4. the flintstones

Ah thankyou hun.
    Yeah BP is back to normal now and your reply was so eloquently put.
    Yes Im so proud of her , the girl did well.
    I must admit when the Yorkie was trying to get at my Jack a naughty thought entered my mind for a tiny second , to let her off and put this dog in its place, but sanity previaled and I didnt (dont tell anyone ) lol
    Fiona

5. the flintstones

Sparkle , thanyou as well, what a beautifull dog you have in your pic, a look of contentment:)
    Fiona

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

She did, as did you to keep calm and let sanity prevail! I would almost be tempted to get the dog warden to have a word about control in public or something like that or, if you see the woman again, talk to her and pitch it in terms of being concerned that her dog will get seriously injured by a larger dog if the behaviour continues....

7. the flintstones

I will do if I see her again, but she is one of those woman who wont listen and has no control over her dog.
    Im not angry at the dog its her denial that her dog is in the wrong.
    My Rotts are well liked over the field the regulars know them and like them.
    But i just takes one idiot to spoil it all.
    Fiona

8. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

Don't worry you aren't alone in those thoughts ;)

It's so sad isn't it? My fiance has a rottie and people are always judging her but she's as soft as butter and very obedient

9. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Absolutely; and you can't be angry at the dog because it's idiot owner has not taught it any better or controlled it any better.

Hopefully it was the poor Yorkie's annual 'sunny day' walk and they will never cross your path again.

10. the flintstones

I blame the media for their potrayal of them .

11. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Funny enough, I have rotties and I had a run-in last night with an agressinve Yorkie!!
    Not whilst out with my dogs though, but while I was out at work. I have to go through one garden to get to the Clients back door to gain access and the neighbours (Clients Son and family) have a yorkie that runs free in the garden - fair enough - its their garden, but bloody thing was snapping at my ankles and fairly going for me, I was just about to hoof it, when woman came out, grinned at me and picked him up and said 'Isnt he a naughty boy?'

I replied 'Actually, yes, he is a naughty boy and I think you should have him in the house when you know the Carers are coming to visit your Mam-in-law because if he did bite a Carer, including me, I would be reporting the incident to the POlice and letting the Dog Warden know you have a dangerous dog! And another thing, I own 5 rottweilers and imagine if I let one of them go on like that round your ankles - you wouldnt be very happy would you??'

I left her open mouthed and I stropped off to Clients house - next time I went back later that evening, little Yorkie was nowhere in sight, so perhaps I got my point across!!

I am glad your dogs behaved though, that could have been a nasty incident and the woman wants reporting!!

12. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Oh boy I so feel ya pain hon, i've lost count on how many times my 2 have been approached by off lead loonies, that yorkie will come a cropper I reckon :)

13. the flintstones

Yay Rottie owners .
    I try and be savvy out dog walking , not everyone wants 2 Rotties running up to them or thier dogs, so I pop them on the leads till I pass unless I know the dogs . My boy is not DA in any way and is sooo laid back , but Labs seem to hate my Rotts for some unknown reason and he has been attacked by a couple.
    My girlie has a high prey drive and like to chase small furry things ie bunnies , she has caught a few , so any small dog she is back on the lead pronto.
    What are your Rotts like are your boys more chilled than the girls

14. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

My oldest boy is so chilled he is blooming horizontal most of the time, but sadly, thunderstorm scared him as a puppy and he cant be let off-lead as he just bolts for home, so I take him on a long tracking lead, other than that, he is fine.

His son, Magnum, is a berk ,lol!! 2 years old and still acts like a puppy!! Have to be careful he doesnt overdo the 'greeting' thing with folk, lol!! He's fine with other dogs though, again, just have to watch he doesnt hurt smaller dogs being clumsy is all.

The girls, hmm, yes, Cleo was attacked by a staffie as a baby pup and has never forgotten that so remains 'funny' with anything that looks staffie-like, although she has mellowed with age.

Darla is a friendly wee soul and wouldnt hurt a fly.

Maddie, well, yeah, Maddie is a Madmad and I have to watch her, simply because she is extremely protective of myself.

None of my dogs ever run with other dogs, I always put them on the lead when any other dogs approach, then let them off again when we've passed each other. It works for me and mine and thats the way I will always be.

15. the flintstones

Ah brill.
    Your food bill must be massive lol
    I love the breed imo there isnt anything like them in the world;)

16. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

Bailey is very laid back when out, just pootles about, I will put him on lead if I see others approaching on lead, he has many doggie friends that he does play with but with age he seems to prefer his own company nowadays, cara well she has been attacked on 3 occasion by off lead dogs so has fear aggression which I'm now left to deal with so no she doesn't get off lead at all, use a long line on her so she has some free excercise :D

17. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Actually, I feed my lot on raw meat and bones and it costs between £50-£60 a month to feed the 5. ;)

18. the flintstones

WOW thats cheap I reckon it costs me £25.00 a week for mine , they are on tripe and biscuit and raw chicken all from Berriwoods .
    Fiona

19. rottiemum

rottiemum PetForums VIP

I totally agree about small aggressive dogs. If my rottie acted that way I'd be in jail and she'd be pts. My neighbour's JR gets away with murder (well, not literally ;)). The other day he was out with the lady and she had the baby as well, I saw her get mobbed by little kids wanting to see the baby and the dog was off the lead - he started going nuts barking at them all - but of course it's 'oh he's just little - how cute'. Not so cute if he attacked one! :blink:

20. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

All I can say is that your Rotties are a credit to you, and I dont blame your JRT for having a go back. Ive known several Yorkies who were the same, there used to be one near me and, if it got out it would attack any dog, it did it to my Samoyed once, tried to jump and bite him and when it couldnt went underneath and tried to bite him there, luckily he was so laid back about everything he didnt retaliate.

Just because dogs are small, some owners dont see it as a problem, but it is and totally irresponsible. All I can say is that dog one day, is going to pick on the wrong dog and will be dead in a heartbeat if it carries on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice