Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dangerous Training Collar

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SpringerHusky, Jul 10, 2009.

1. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

http://leerburg.com/746.htm

I saw this a few years ago and thought it was sick then, I just found it after looking for domiant dog pictures (I'm trying to draw a variety of things)

It makes me feel sick when you read about it :cursing:

#1 SpringerHusky, Jul 10, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2009
  2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Something very wrong with OWNERS that use these sort of things not the DOG.

3. SpringerHusky

Exactly! I mean it even says it cuts off their air?!! what the F***!! :cursing:

4. reddyrufus

reddyrufus PetForums Member

God!:cursing: I can't believe some of the stuff they have got on that website!:mad:

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've seen these about, mostly on Dobermans.

6. SpringerHusky

They shoulden't be on any dog, it's just sickening :frown:

7. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

seen these when i used to do schutzhund with my rotts,seen them used never seen a dogs airways cut off,then they were called american checks,the idea was they stayed in the correct position high on the dogs neck,behind the ears

8. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I know, but I will be honest here. The people I've seen using them are experienced with dogs and they didn't seem to be in harm at all. I suppose it's how you use them.

I personally would never use one, like I would never use choke chains

9. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

its just like a slip lead really ...only that its a collar :confused:

10. SpringerHusky

I used to go Schutzhund, I never saw these collars most I saw where webbed choke chains, choker chains or half check collars and some slip collars.

I'm not usually against collars but to take away a dogs air is not right, there's no excuse for it.

In truth You shouldn't need to sue tools like these to control a dog. :mad:

11. SpringerHusky

When set loosly, yes but they tell you not to and if you read, they tell you it restricts/cuts off the dogs air to get their attention

12. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

yes, but if u pull on a slip lead u also will cut off the dogs air.... :confused:

I havent read the full thing :blushing:

13. SpringerHusky

I had one on Maya and never managed to cut her air off despite pulling on it to move her out of the way of a dog fight, so you'd have to pull pretty tight to do so :confused:

Go read then :p

I think the more danger is if this collar was to land into the wrong hands more than anything, you could kill a dog :cursing:

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

If a normal collar isn't used correctly it could kill a dog. I think the majority of people who would go for this are the 'my dogs are weapons' type of people. :mad:

15. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

there are so many dangerous tools out there which can be very effective used by the right person but alot of people think its an easy quick "solve the issue" solution and dont think before they purchase those things.

I used a slip lead before and the dog choked quite bad when pulled so i never used it again before they havent been trained to walk to heel.

16. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

also the first time id ever seen a prong collar,one of the trainers was a guy called kurt sventek direct from germany and before anyone says anything,they helped a hell of a lot of rotts,especially in court cases,it wasnt a very good time for rotts back then,seems to be coming full circle:(
    i never ever saw them hit or kick a dog,they took on some real aggresive dogs and turned them around,used correctly they arent nasty,sadly you will always get people who abuse,how many times do you see a dog dragging its owner down the street wearing a check chain,now thats gonna do more damage,as its name suggests,a short check then release is the correct way,the american checks are bought to fit the dogs neck,hence the clip,you dont then have a loose collar hanging

17. SpringerHusky

I've seen them and had one on my neck, I from that point on refused to use one, it was uncomfortable and scratched at my neck. I personally think a prong is better suited for the longer haired breeds but again I don't like these collars from my own personal experience.

It makes me so sad when I see people get these collars and have no idea how to use them or even attempt to do dog training. I have a friend with a malinosis and guess what he's been trained on a flat collar and lives happily in one too.

I'm becoming less and less of fan of any training tools, some work for others and some don't. I myself only train my dogs on flat collars of half check collars, I don't even use a head collar after what damage it did to Barney.

18. clueless

clueless Banned

Cesar Milan's Illusion collars work in the same way I believe and he also uses it and lifts dogs of the floor!!!! Totally against these types of collars

crazycrest likes this.
  19. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I don't know how the collar exactly works, but to me it just looksd like a slip rope with a collar. Slip ropes tighten when a dog pulls hard and though i have never heard it with my dogs a couple of people i know and walk with their dogs make raspy coughing sounds because the lead goes tight, then they stop pulling.
    I do not like it when a dog chokes from having it tighten, therefore i always remind my dogs now and then to stay in heel, with a command or gentle tug.

20. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

I think these are made for inpatient, little women or men who absolutely must have a to big dog they can't handle other then choking them halfway to death. :( I see dominant collars on almost all dogs here, those rare people who do walk their dog that is. Makes me wanna put my hands around their neck, but that might not be a good idea. :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice