UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to alert people in Dagenham, Essex, because today my one year old German Shepherd got bitten on the neck by a ferocious out of control dog. Can I tell my story?

We were walking around Eastbrook Park, when we came accross a man with 2black dogs - one looked like a cross between a Rottweiler and a Labrador - the other a crossed Labrador. On seeing our dog, the Rottweiler/Labrador cross broke it's lead and attacked our dog, and pinned her to the ground. She began screaming and eventually managed to run away. Luckily it seems as though our dog is not hurt and hopefully she will not be affected as she is only a young dog. Although we are very concerned that this may happen again to other dog walkers and their dogs, and someone or their dog may get badly hurt.

:mad:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Things like this are very frightening, sorry you had to experience it. Just wondering what sort of response you got from the owners?
You can report these sort of events to the Dog Warden. He may know the dog by reputation. If the dogs were on lead it sounds like the owner was trying to behave responsibly and it was unfortunate the lead snapped.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, it was frightening. And it is the thought of what could have happened!!

Behaving responsibly - maybe yes - maybe no. His dogs had been off their leads, and he appeared to put the leads back on when he saw us coming. Because they had already previously been off their leads I was a little surprised at the dogs level of aggresion.

The man was keen to reinforce the fact that the lead had broken once he had his dog back under control, but at the point the dog attacked, the man did not make much attempt to stop what was happening.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It sounds extremely frightening and clearly his dogs need to be on lead around other dogs, but did his dog actually bite and break skin on your dog?

Pinning is aggressive, but if the dog didn't actually bite and break skin then I wouldn't describe it as ferocious.

·
Registered
14,973 Posts
While I feel bad for your dog hard to say where I stand.

He could have not put his dog on lead and it wasn't his fault his lead snapped (hopefully he'll invest in a stronger lead)

I've had my dogs attacked and my dog been the attacker so I can usually see both sides of the story.

Do I think it's fair your dog was the victim of an incident? no but do I think joining a forum just to post a warning about a dog who snapped it's lead and went for your dog but didn't leave any damage to need vet bills? No.

Only a few months a staffy attacked my dog who was onlead, the dog had got out of the house and latched on. He would NOT let go and it took quite a bit to get him off. Now my dog is an Alaskan malamute and has allot of fur, she got away with fur missing and small puncture wounds. That dog is what i'd describe as dangerous. The owners were idiots and I still see them with the dog on lead and they like to tell me that their dog isn't dangerous and lives with their small child (like that makes any difference, a dog that is agressive with other dogs is not likely to be a problem with children-family).

Hopefully you this won't happen again x

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clearly SpringerHusky is not that happy that I have joined this forum.

I wanted to warn unaware dog walkers that something similar could happen, and to be cautious in the local area. If this forum is the wrong place for that, and I am to wait until I have had to pay out for vet bills, then I will think again before I visit the forum again.

·
Registered
407 Posts

I wanted to warn unaware dog walkers that something similar could happen, and to be cautious in the local area. If this forum is the wrong place for that, and I am to wait until I have had to pay out for vet bills, then I will think again before I visit the forum again.
I wouldn't say it was because you joined the forum.
I would however say that although I appreciate your warning to others, your description as ferocious could be a little outlandish. I am sorry you went through this and know from experiencing it with my own dog that it is horrifying when it happens to you. However like SpringerHusky my dog has also had a go at other dogs for no reason - he is a Yorkshire terrier with attitude occassionally and he never causes harm Such as biting, but he has been known to pin and make lots of noise which can be scary for other owners. However I would be mortified if someone described my dog as ferocious because of this - especially if the lead had actually snapped.
Although it is hard, you do have to see it from other people's points of view some times especially a forum like this when people know its not exactly black and white with dogs being "good" or "bad" hope you don't leave because of this, I don't feel SpringerHusky was trying to be mean

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hello,thank you for all your very kind words, my dog wasnt particularly hurt by this episode although as you know puncture wounds can later become inflamed and infected. Hopefully in this case my dog will not have any injuries as a result of being bitten. However my only reason for writing on this forum was to warn others.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I have a dog walking friend with a collie x lab. This dog ( female) makes sure any new dog she meets knows she is in charge! ( I don't think I would allow such behaviour by the way!) When she first met my previous dog she pinned him and there was a lot of shrieking from Barney and she did bite but they ended up the best of pals. He was the only dog she would share her ball with to play fetch and he was also allowed on the sofa with her.
However hard we, as mere humans try and interpret dog -dog behaviour we only scrape the surface so to speak.
My thought was that if your dog is the one being pinned it does look scary and aggressive but sometimes it's just sorting out who is who. If the OPs dog got away then either the owner had grabbed the rottie or things weren't quite as bad as they looked. I do realise how frightening dog on dog aggression can be and I am sure i would have been scared too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the forum Digestive. No one will have wanted to make you seem unwelcome and we can all relate to the horror of seeing another dog have a go at our dogs.

It sounds to me like the man took reasonable steps to control his dog and that you were very unfortunate that the lead broke.

Having had a puppy bitten on the face twice (drawing blood) and been pinned several times by some dogs who later became friendly with him, all I can say is that dog interaction and aggression can be a complicated, frustrating and confusing business.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well I would like to say thank you for warning others I think that's the best thing to do as you never know what is round the corner, my old yorkie got attract by a Staffordshire bull terrier, and he lashed on and didn't let go. The owner had to stick his finger up the dogs bum. To get him off! So I no how horrible it is and I for one was terrified ! Thinking that was the end for my dog :( bu luckily he was fine and he did go to the vet just to be safe and they gave him an injection.

Best thing to do is warn others :)

I'm sure no one would want that to happen to their dog like digestives owner didn't want it to happen to him/her

X

·
Super Moderator
12,001 Posts
Just want to alert people in Dagenham, Essex, because today my one year old German Shepherd got bitten on the neck by a ferocious out of control dog. Can I tell my story?

We were walking around Eastbrook Park, when we came accross a man with 2black dogs - one looked like a cross between a Rottweiler and a Labrador - the other a crossed Labrador. On seeing our dog, the Rottweiler/Labrador cross broke it's lead and attacked our dog, and pinned her to the ground. She began screaming and eventually managed to run away. Luckily it seems as though our dog is not hurt and hopefully she will not be affected as she is only a young dog. Although we are very concerned that this may happen again to other dog walkers and their dogs, and someone or their dog may get badly hurt.

:mad:
I understand you wanting to vent/lash out about this dog. You've had a frightening experience, and like many here, I've also had my own dogs attacked - quite a lot recently :(

However, I must say I see things from SpingerHusky's viewpoint too. It comes across as though your sole purpose for joining this forum was to warn others about this dog that you describe as dangerous. If this was a forum largely local to you, with few, if any members outside of the local community, that warning might have been somewhat better appreciated, but as it is, it's got members from all over the world who are never going to come into contact with this dog, so the warning is somewhat dilute to the vast majority of us here.

Glad your own dog is OK and not hurt. :)

·
Registered
758 Posts

I'm sorry you've been through what must have been a terrifying experience, but the dog's owner put their dog on the lead as soon as they saw you, it shows they are aware of the problem and are trying to do something about it, it would be unfair to vilify them when they are trying to deal with their dog's DA.

I don't think SpringerHusky meant anything bad towards you, all dog owners are welcome.

can i just say, that i was with digestive today and i was very scared by this dog, . we was just hoping to keep dog lovers safe
I'm sorry, you've confused me here. Did someone just borrow your account to post?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Accidents happen, a lead breaking can happen to anyone and of course if the dog is not best behaved then it will cause havoc.

But, was the dog actually dangerous? Just because it pinned yours to the ground does not mean it is an aggressive dog. Some dogs will play extremely rough, all teeth, vocals, pinning etc. You say the dog did not come off with any injuries, if it was meaning harm and dangerous i would have expected yours to have some injuries, the dog could have easily puntured your dog on impact if thats what it intended to do.

I know it must have been frightening,but the dog may not have been best off lead and just over did it, not neccesarily aggressive.

·
Banned
3,379 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I think it a good thing that other dog owners be aware of what happened if they live in your area.

A lead snapping is not really a great excuse in my eyes. If you know you have a DA dog you should damned well check the collar and lead are strong..safe...not wearing out at all. ....regularly. Could mean the difference between life and death of somebody elses family pet.

Hope you and your dog can put the bad experience behind you:)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I think it a good thing that other dog owners be aware of what happened if they live in your area.

A lead snapping is not really a great excuse in my eyes. If you know you have a DA dog you should damned well check the collar and lead are strong..safe...not wearing out at all. ....regularly. Could mean the difference between life and death of somebody elses family pet.

Hope you and your dog can put the bad experience behind you:)
Compleatly agree with that, or at least put a muzzle on him. If the lead snapped then it can be an accident mine has once but for some unknown reason I take a spear lead, :rolleyes: weird I no.

There was ways that could have been prevented, like I probably could of prevented mine snapping. (Dukes not as bad as what this one sounds, he would be to scared to pin another dog down) if you new you had a dangerous dog then you would have some sort of lead and collar muzzle anything just to be on the safe side!
But then you learn by your mistakes (most people do)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.