Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dangerous cat litter?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Helena91, Jul 4, 2020.

1. Helena91

Helena91 PetForums Junior

Hi! I'm looking for some advice on cat litter. I hadn't really worried about what brand to buy as they only do their business in it, so buy the cheapest one the shop has (currently Franks from Sainsburys) I may be over sensitive, but I have noticed a very chemically smell whenever I walk into the bathroom (where the tray is) it irritates my lungs a bit, and it got me thinking is it safe for cats to be pushing their noses into it etc?

We tried the wood litter, gradually mixing it with their normal clay one but once it reached a certain ratio, one of my cats started to use the bed instead..... I also think non-clumping is best as we seem to get through less of it. We have 2 indoors cats so use a lot of litter.

I have been looking on Zooplus, and 'Tigerino Crystals Cat Litter' got my attention. Has anyone here tried it or maybe got a better suggestion? Thanks for any help!

willow.jpg

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Helena91 - clumping litter is less wasteful than non-clumping IME as you only need to scoop the wet clumps and the poos. With non-clumping the whole tray can quickly become contaminated with smells of pee and poo so the tray needs emptying right out more often and filling with new litter.

I once bought Tigerino Crystals some years ago and found it horribly dusty. Never used it again.

If you want a very cheap litter then wood pellets may be the answer - if your cats will use them (note : only one of my cats will use wood pellets.). But you need the correct trays for wood pellets. It's called a "sieve tray" and the best one is made by Brit-pet.

https://brit-pet.com/

The best value decent litter I know of is the plant-based clumping litter called Super Benek. (available from Zooplus) It is fine granular litter, covers smells well and does not track too badly.

I have 6 litter trays for 4 cats (2 of my cats use the garden as well for their toilet) With 3 indoor cats you'll need a minimum of 3 litter trays. I find Super Benek affordable for heavy use.

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

4. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

One thing to make sure of is that you fill the litter trays to around 4"/5" in depth . It may sound a lot but it works far better if the pee's are "clumped" before they have reached the bottom of the tray. All you should need to do is remove the clumps of wee and poo's topping up the litter every few days to keep a decent depth .
    It varies with Meeko but I usually only change the litter totally every 5/6 weeks sometimes longer with the tray out in his run .

chillminx and Calvine like this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Judging by your picture your litter trays are much too small for your adult cats. Cats need room while in the litter box. At least a third as long as they are and wider too.

You didn't mention if the litter causing the 'chemical smell' was a scented litter, if it was that may be your problem. Cats hate those scented litters too.

I've never had any luck with pine pellets, but I love the grass litter. Unfortunately only one cat will use it so I keep two clumping clay boxes and one with a blend of clumping clay and grass litter. With 2 cats I go through about 10 pounds of litter a month. I scoop pee and remove poop any time a box is used,. Immediately, if I'm home, as soon as I walk in the door if I've been out.

If you are sensitive to smells you may have trouble with corn based litters. The one time I tried it my whole home smelled like a barn. And one of the cats kept eating it, which caused her to have diarrhea and vomiting, all over the house. It was quite a disastrous experiment. :)

6. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

I like the crystal litters, they absorb the urine smell well so I find you only need to scoop the solids. Once it's are saturated, it begins to smell and you replace the whole lot.

7. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Helena91 - Cats Best Oko Plus (mentioned by buffie) is made from shredded fir tree wood, if your cats don't get on with the corn-based Super Benek.

lorilu likes this.
  8. Helena91

Helena91 PetForums Junior

That pic is of their kitten tray, haven't used it in months as one started to use it as a bed :p

Thanks for the advice guys, have a few we can try now!

lorilu likes this.
  9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I did wonder if that was the case. :D

10. Silverdoof

Silverdoof PetForums Member

We use this one and found it to be far the best of any.

Was always a Cats Best clumping fan until we bought a Batch (rescue so always buy in bulk) of litter that didn’t clump. It was awful & such waste of money

Anyway this is a non clumper but really good to work with, cats like it as well Plus its cost effective

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice