Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dandruff?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bellini, May 14, 2010.

1. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

Millie seems to have a little bit of what looks like dandruff on her coat.

I try to brush her but she doesn't like it much and to be honest she's short haired so I only have similar to a baby brush for her.

She goes out a lot now so she's always dragging herself along the patio/grass, climbing trees, digging up the garden and generally getting into a right old mess.

What do you think?

2. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Sure it is not just dust from the outside then?

Mine also go out and do what your cat does but they don't have dandruffy things - just dust from where they rolled around for a mud/dust bath (so to speak).

If you think that your cat really has dandruff, then you could try some brewer's yeast or either some salmon oil or some evening primrose oil. Or P@H do something that is a combination of the two.

Just give it to your cat for a course of a couple of weeks and the skin should be clear within no time. :thumbup:

3. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

It may be fleas

4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Dandruffy skin can be linked to thyroid dysfunction so if it does not clear it may be worth checking in with the vet. I agree though that adding salmon oil as well as evening primrose oil supplements to the food can be very helpful.
    Looking at the overall quality of the food is also a good idea.

5. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

It's def not fleas as I frontline her every 4-6 weeks.

She's on a mixture of Tescos 60% tuna pouches, applaws dry (90%) and fresh raw/cooked meat and chicken.

I'm getting her boosters done next month so I'll ask the vet then. Thanks x

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I personally wouldn't worry too much - it is moulting season (well, if my cats are anything to go by). May be worth trying those supplements though for a couple of weeks to see whether you see a difference. I tell you, evening primrose oil and salmon oil work wonders! :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice