Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dandruff from too many baths

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by CelesteSpaniel, Feb 21, 2019.

1. CelesteSpaniel

CelesteSpaniel PetForums Newbie

Hi there!

My pug, Falafel, poops and pees a lot. He’s about 10 months old, and still isn’t house trained. We’ve got another dog, a 5 year old Pom, who is house trained, but it does seem to be taking our pug a long time to learn.

Anyway, he poops and pees throughout the day, and no matter how many times we take him out, he always manages to go in the house a least a few times a day. He also goes in his bed at night, and is quite happy to just sit in it (he has never whined in his bed, since the day we got him at 8 weeks old).

He gets his poop and wee on himself EVERY day without fail. We’ve had to give him daily baths (as well as clean the floors several times a day as he loves running it all around the house).

Well, now he has quite bad dandruff, and I’m certain it’s from the baths (Which I’m very aware you’re not supposed to bath your dog often at all. More like once a month or three).
    We’ve tried just wiping it off, which doesn’t work at all, it just gets everywhere, and we can’t keep him still during wiping like we can with baths. We’ve tried just rinsing, with no puppy shampoo, but it leaves him smelling like pure poop all day long when we do that.

We have to take him out every half an hour or every hour, and like I said, he still manages to go in the house.
    He’s been checked by the vet, who says he’s perfectly healthy. We’re feeding him the correct amount. We’ve tried not feeding him too late before bed (to try and combat the night poops).

All of these things have done diddly squat.

Any time I catch him circling, I quickly pick him up to take him out, but nope, he goes WHILE I’m carrying him!

Other than these things, he’s a super happy, playful and loving pup. He does still eat his poop occasionally, but only about 30% of the time now, instead of 100% of the time.

So I’m stuck on what to do. I can’t leave him filthy, yet I can’t keep bathing him can I?
    I don’t know how to help him control his bowels and bladder. He didn’t used to go this much. But the vet can’t find anything wrong with him at all.

Any help, is greatly appreciated!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

After his bath you could try rubbing some coconut oil into his coat - it might help but at worst it won't do any harm.

For the toileting, can you maybe get a new, very high value reward like chicken or frankfurter sausage that is only used for outside toilets? Toilet training happens when he wants to hold his toilet enough to earn his fabulous reward, so first it has to be very high value; and second he has to realise that it is for toileting and not for anything else such as coming to you. So you have to deliver the reward and praise as soon as he has toileted.

Also indoors clean up with an enzymatic cleaner and leave the cleaner down for ten minutes before you wipe it up to give it time to work properly - that will help get rid of the smells that might take him back to the same places.

margy and Torin. like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice