Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dandruff after bathing dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by moni.kate, Apr 2, 2019.

1. moni.kate

moni.kate PetForums Newbie

Hello!

I have a 3-year-old pit bull who gets dandruff after I bathe him. He used to get dandruff right after I would bathe him and continue to have it so I switched to an oatmeal based dog wash and now when I bathe him he still gets dandruff right after I bathe him but it eventually goes away with a little bit of time unlike before it would not go away.

I'm wondering if I should take extra/different measures to prevent dandruff like trying a new shampoo or is he fine since the dandruff eventually goes away?

Thanks,
    Monica

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

How often do you bathe him? I wouldn’t really expect a short haired dog to ever need a bath unless they’ve rolled in something smelly.

DaisyBluebell likes this.
  3. moni.kate

moni.kate PetForums Newbie

Two to three times a year. He likes to roll around in the backyard and get dirty! Usually, I take a baby wipe to just clean the surface.

4. Hardwick Hounds

Hardwick Hounds PetForums Senior

Short haired dogs should be bathed occasionally as it stimulates hair growth and cleans out the pores, and also helps with deshedding.

If the dandruff is only after bathing its likely that the bathing is drying his skin out in the process. Some dog shampoos are quite harsh. Try either a 2 in 1 or a conditioner after shampooing. Even if the shampoo doesn't state it most are supposed to be diluted too. Earthbath and tropiclean are made of natural ingredients and I would recommend them. This earthbath is a good 2 in 1.
    https://amzn.to/2WDYNQI

Make sure you've fully rinsed it out. If properly rinsed, you should be able to hear a '''squeak" if you rub your hand over the dog.

Regular dandruff should be seen by a vet to make sure there's no underlying cause or fungal growth on the skin.

moni.kate likes this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It could be that the bath is raising the dandruff so that is it more obvious. I went through a phase where my hair looked scurfy after being washed, not sure why. Not sure how bathing stimulates hair growth. As others said a short haired dog should not need bathing unless it gets really dirty and then a hose and a sponge might be better than shampoo. My dogs have totally different coats and are bathed every 6 weeks or so.

6. Do you rinse him thoroughly with a shower head? I think it's important to get all of the shampoo out by rinsing really, really well.

My long-haired chihuahua smells of sulphur / rotten eggs after a bath, and the smell stays until he is dry. I use Richard's Organics shampoo and rinse him well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice