Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dandelions

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kirk68, Apr 30, 2011.

1. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Since Jess had her pups 2 weeks ago, she's taken to eating dandelion flowers at every opportunity. she doesn't eat the leaves or even the stems, just nips the flower off and eats it.

Is this a sign of dietary need or just another one of those strange things that some dogs do?

2. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Hello?? Guys??

Any advice please???

3. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Tummel eats dandelions sometimes, i know a few other dogs that like the yellow flowers too. I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

4. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Just one more silly thing she does then. Thanks for the reassurance. :001_smile:

5. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

As far as I understand it there is no harm in a dog eating dandelions as long as you know for sure that they have not been treated with a pesticide or weed killer.
    As you say she has recently had pups I am sure you will still be seeing the vet so perhaps it would be a good idea to run this past him/her.

6. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Am due to see vet on Tuesday (just a social call but he's a friend so why not?) It's probs nothing at all. The field we use doesn't get herbicides/pesticides etc on it as its used to raise organic beef on sio I know she's not ingesting any nasty chemicals.

7. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

Never heard of a dog eating them before. Not that mine get the chance to.. They get picked and fed to the guinea pigs :D

8. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Mine all eat dandelions they have done for years never come to any harm

9. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Bumped into Chris (my vet friend) this morning while out with the dogs and asked him about Jess eating the dandelions. Right on cue she started. He said it was nothing to worry about and in his opinion she does it because she likes the taste. She certainly does seemto enjoy them :001_smile::001_smile:

10. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

There is nothing nicer than a resolved worry when it comes to our animals is there. Glad you found your answer giving peace of mind.

11. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

Very true. Thanks to everyone for the support but I do feel a bit of a fool for worrying now. :blush::blush:

12. Bwy39

Bwy39 PetForums Junior

and how much of a "fool" would you have felt if your pet had died as a result of you not bothering to ask.....There is no such thing as a silly question only a person who wants an answer to something ...... :nono:

13. kirk68

kirk68 PetForums VIP

This is a great forum with wonderful people full of great advice and I will take my telling off and stop feeling like a fool. Just happy to know my little girl isn't poorly.

14. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/159515-does-your-dog-have-job.html

The link is a thread I made a while back with photos of Bear and Zak seeking out and eating every dandelion in the garden. Apparently, they used to be used in salads, they're obviously not poisonous and I think maybe it's the colour cos they also ate celandines and a tulip!

15. tinysarah

tinysarah PetForums Member

Conan does exactly the same but to any flower! He's done it to pansys, dafadills, roses, daisys, dandelions, dandelion clocks, anything thats bright! He just nips the head off and eats them! He did
    It to one of our neighbours pansys and I was so embarrassed! Luckily they didn't mind and were fine with it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice