Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

damaged dewclaw

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by haeveymolly, Jul 3, 2009.

1. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Our 8 year old springer had a damaged dewclaw, a few years ago he damaged it really badly a complete rip down the side and was very painful.He has done it again not as bad but licking it all the time and yelping when its touched.
    We are taking him to the vets tommorow the vet did say before that of he damaged it again we might have to consider having it removed.

So just wondered if anyone else has had this trouble and has anyones dog had a dewclaw removed other than the removal in the usual removal time when done as young pup.

2. I would if it were myself be tempted to have it removed! But it is a lot bigger operation then when they are removed from a two day old pup as they have to have full anesthetic. Assuming your dog is in good health otherwise and is able to cope with the anesthetic!

At the end of the day your vet will explain the options and tell you his opinions! be steered by him!
    DT

3. haeveymolly

Thanks i agree because it is painful and i would rather him have it done now than wait until he is at more of a risk of an op or maybe too old then have to live with it. He is 9 in a couple of months and very fit has no medical problems, infact no one believes how old he is, but heart organs or 9 years old so maybe still be a risk.

4. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

My 5 year old Lab has had dew claw problems on and off late last year, she was in a lot of discomfort with them.
    We actually had them removed in the end. I was actually surprised at how quick she recovered.

5. haeveymolly

How long was the op, do you know and what was the recovery like.

6. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I agree!. if you can tape it up tonight, i really do no about this please pm me if you want;)
    chris

7. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

I can't remember how long the op was, but she came home with them bandaged up, had a little seepage (sp) which is normal for a couple of days....had restricted exercise for a bit.
    She really was fine, back to her old self in no time.
    It was better then hear her cry out in pain when she ripped one :(

8. haeveymolly

Oh yes definetly it must be painfull because he snapped at my hand when we touched it, and honestly that isnt him the last time he snapped was when he did it before, but bless him when i held his paw again and told him no (because i wanted to see how bad it was) he just whimpered.Its such a shame i hate him hurting, the pup has just has a lick so maybe we wont need the vet now.:) it will all be fine now,:) bless her.

#8 haeveymolly, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  9. Do not think the op will be very long - maybe only around 10-15 minutes! but they will be cutting into a main guider(or whatever you call it!) Bit like having your little toe removed I expect is the best way to describe it!! BBM would maybe kbow how long the op would be!
    DT

10. haeveymolly

Yes the vet said that it was like amputating our thumb so didnt want to do it unnessarily if its only a short op them not so much anesthetic, but i have to way up the risks of the op and the risks of him living with this and i dont want that, as he is such a yound looking fir full of life dog it would be a shame to hinder his life with this pain.

11. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Simba had a dewclaw removed earlier this year. Not because it was damaged but because it had been removed when he was tiny and it grew back. It was not done for cosmetic reasons it grew back as a very tight curl and too close to his leg to cut it properly. I don't know how long it took but OH dropped him of at 10am and they rang I think at about 3pm to say he could come home.It didn't bother him and he had disolving stitches in so had no need to go back for them to be removed.

If the vet doesn't remove it try wrapping vet wrap round them when he free runs to protect them. A lot of people with whippets and lurchers use vet wrap when racing their dogs to prevent injuries of this kind happening.

12. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

no sorry it's a thumb

13. haeveymolly

Thanks everyone i am going to ring them at 8.30 when they are open just to if the vets i prefer to see are on this morning theres only 2 of them that i will see after the major blunder which was made with our first springer that we lost last year. if not it will be monday, I know its nothing major but after monty i have lost confidence in anyone else, he still has it taped and doesnt seem to be bothering him with that on. Thanks again ile post to let you know what the vets say.

Luvdogs likes this.
  14. Sure he'' live until Monday:) Know you said it is taped but just thought I'd mention the horse bandages are pretty good!
    regardss
    DT

15. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It is a fairly minor operation. The dew claw has no real use and is not that well attached, nothing like having a thumb or a finger off! It only takes a few minutes and a couple of stitches. Obviously it will be a bit sore for a day or two but within a week the dog will have forgotten it ever had dewclaws.

16. Did actually put thumb to start with and then edited it! as removing the thumb could not be compared with a small toe of a human!! The dew claw it attached with more gristle then bone! like the little toe of a human ! The human thumb being mainly bone!
    DT

17. post removed!

18. haeveymolly

Back from the vets, she has removed the complete nail she also said the ammount of times it has been damaged does not justify him having the op, so thats fine with us. He had a m.o.t while he was there as he hates the vets so much thought we might as well get everything done in one go. . . he's such a big baby.

19. Glad he's sorted out & home!!! big wuzz!:D:D
    lol
    DT

20. Luvdogs

Luvdogs PetForums VIP

Glad he's ok ;)

haeveymolly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice