Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Damage done by an Extending Lead

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by bird, Apr 23, 2011.

1. bird

bird PetForums VIP

These photos do not show just how bad my ankle really is, nor the pain I feel, although I admit its not half as bad as it was yesterday.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A young lurcher type ran up to us yesterday and the woman walking it lost her grip on the extender and it wrapped its self around my ankles. Thankfully, Arnie stopped and returned when I called hiim so the other dog did too, or I dread to think of the damage that could have been done. This is bad enough for just 2/3 seconds of that cord around my ankle. :( Best was, the woman asked if I was ok and I said fine, it wasnt until a good 15mins later that the pain and the mark developed. :eek:

2. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

:eek: That looks sooooo sore - hope it eases use x

3. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

OUCH!! Know exactly how you feel....had a few extendable lead injuries myself!

4. rona

rona Guest

Oooo that looks sore.
    I've had a couple of burns on my hands.
    They can be vicious things

5. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

:( *hug*

They're ridiculous leads even at the best of times. It goes through me when I see people with them near roads

Em
    xx

6. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

Ouch once had the same across my calf and it HURTS like h*ll :(

Hate to say so, but my experience was it got worse before it got better, the "scar" kind of contracts like a burn, which I guess it is :(

Mine was from my own dog, hubby holding lead! Still think their benefits outweigh the bad experience and still use them at times :)

7. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

ouch, that does look sore .hope it heals soon .. i always remember when i used to work in pet shop if people wanted the extending leads to go for the tape and not the cord ones for that very reason

8. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I'm just grateful that it was me and not the monster that got tangled in it. I dread to think of what would have happened on her delicate little skin. :( But its going to take a while to heal, its trying to scab over and tighten but because of where it is, its going to constantly open up with movement. :mad: Why can't the manufacturers make them with a more secure handle. :rolleyes::

9. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Ouch! :eek: I have a scar round one of my fingers from an incident with a cord like the extending leads - mine was a curtain pull cord.
    Hope it heals up soon - have you put anything on it?

10. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

Ouch, that looks sore. Hope it heals up soon.

11. Amethyst

Amethyst PetForums VIP

12. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

what u want to do is write off to them and tell them what damage its done and what would happen if it happened to a pet

13. bird

bird PetForums VIP

Banged a load of savlon on it last night, all through the groove. Not put anything on it today yet, Arnie keeps trying to lick it. :rolleyes: Think its going to be a while before I have a soak again, showers only for a while me thinks. :(

14. danielled

danielled Guest

Pudgier that's one reason I'm not keen on those leads.

15. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

i hope its not too sore and heals soon.

16. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Thats why I hate those leads and the fact some people allow their dogs to run to the end and you have no idea how long it is.

17. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I have a scar on my arm, i'll get some photos when i'm not so tired where I was walking a neighbors rottie who decided he wanted to see another dog, the cable snapped and recoiled onto my arm, I had to have one stitch :(

I recently got one for Maya, I hated them before but I have got her the tape on instead of the string so it'd less likely to snap or do damage, Maya never pulls so it's nice for her to have a bit of freedom.

18. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

Ouch! That looks nasty :( Hope it heals soon x

19. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

That looks sore, hope it heals soon.

We keep tape one in the car for Dillon, just in case we find a park and don't wanted to let him off his lead.

I really worry when I see people using them for road walking, Dillon is going though the stage of wanting to play with every dog he meets, but at 6 stone not many small dog owners like him very much. Yesterday when we were out for a walk just got near a corner and this small dog appeared so I put Dillon into a sit and stay then the owner appeared at the other end of a very long lead :mad: saw me standing there with Dillon sitting nicely and was told that I should control my dog. :mad5: my answer was not very polite to say the least.:D

#19 Happy Paws2, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2011
  20. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Flipping hec! that must be really sore now, hope it dont leave a scar of any kind. Put something cold on it to sooth that painxxx.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice