Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Daisy's spay

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ingrid25, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

Daisy got spayed today and the operation went very well:) Although she HATES her cone- I feel so bad leaving it on her:eek:
    She's waking up a bit more now, but this photo was taken just after she came home
    [​IMG]

And while she was at the vet she 'released her anal glads' and now she STINKS! But as she has stitches we can't wash her and so she's stinking out the house-so what can we do to make this smell go away?

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

You can wash her back end and if there is any stuff on her wound you could bathe it gently.

As for the cone, I have never found a need for one. Just use it if she seems to be licking. My vets do not give them out routinely and I have never thought them necessary except for the exceptional dog.

3. shirleystarr

shirleystarr PetForums VIP

My dogs wont put up with the cone either so I got them baby grows from asda with the back poppers on and they were fine with that
    You can wash her bum I would think

4. catseyes

catseyes PetForums VIP

awwww bless her we had zelda spayed 2 weeks ago.. she did exactly the same thing with the anal glands, we used baby wipes - a lot of them, then after about 2 days washed her back end in the sink and avoided the scar.

With the cone we bought one of these and its been perfect at night she was happier to sleep in it as its lighter and softer..

Comfy cone nylon elizabethan buster collar for after operations | eBay

during the day we t shirted her lol, she was scratching at her scar with the leg and caused a sore. so i got an old t shirt cut 4 leg holes then pulled it up around her back and saftety pinned it all down the back, just had to pop her back legs out when taking her for a pee. she was fine in that and meant we didnt need eyes on her constantly!

Hope she recovers quickly x

5. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I couldn't deal with the cone, let alone Pennie. So I dug out Lou's skid plate - he wears it when we go to a particular wood where he comes back with his chest scratched to pieces. Anyway - as it is Lou's it swamped Pen - she didn't touch her stitches at all.

[​IMG]

She'll be Ok in a few days, enjoy the peace! Hope she recovers well :)

#5 SLB, Sep 6, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I'm pleased it went well and wish Daisy a swift recovery.

7. All The Babies

All The Babies PetForums Member

Dolly and Ted were spayed/neutered on Tuesday and, after recently seeing one of my cats suffer with a facial surgery and the real need for a cone, we decided not to use the cones.

During the day, when the pups occassionally lick at their wounds, we have been able to distract them with just our voices and this has worked well. At night, as others have said, we have put popper stud babygrows or vests on them with great success. Another problem, that even a cone cannot stop, is them scratching at their tummies with their back claws so, the cotton clothing helps to minimize any risk for harm there.

Can't help with the stinkiness, sorry!

I really hope your dog continues to recover well. It's pretty tough watching them go through it but we have both done the right thing.

8. Ingrid25

Ingrid25 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone for your wishes:) She's woken up a lot more now!

I was thinking about doing this- I might give it a try!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice