Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Daisy's peculiar coat (fur).

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kaily, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

When I got Daisy in October last year she had a full fluffy coat. Strangely in the last few months she has been losing it. I could understand it if she was a pup but she is over a year old - unless she is younger than I was told. It's not a problem, I'm just curious.

This is how she was.

IMG_20201130_101757_011.jpg

IMG_20201130_112802_735-1.jpg

And now (poor pics taken in haste). She has a kind of mohican strip of hair on her back the rest is now short. :confused:

IMG_20210205_174427_396.jpg

IMG_20210205_174843_671.jpg

IMG_20210205_174843_671.jpg

IMG_20210205_174609_582.jpg

Attached Files:

Torin. likes this.
  2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

She obviously wants to be a short coated dog. I wonder if it is just a routine moult that looks a bit odd. Most dogs do a big moult twice a year and some have wrecked coats while they are doing it.

DaisyBluebell and Kaily like this.
  3. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

No advice but how bizarre, love the mohican look though.

Kaily likes this.
  4. Kaily

Kaily PetForums Senior

That is exactly what I thought at first. But I don't think long haired dogs usually go short to that extent during a moult. I can't see it growing back.

Yes bizarre is the word. Her mohican is about 3" long but I think that will fall out too. All I do know is that there is hair all over my house.:rolleyes:

5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

She's wirehaired, but with a weird combination of lengths, and variation across the body. The mohawk along is the spine is what Cadvan has too, although you can't see it very well in photos as all his guard hairs are convex so the ends of them curl down back into the coat rather than curling up to be more visually obvious, or just lying flat as Daisy has. It's not uncommon with terrier mongrels (especially where there's fine-coated SH toy breed genes in the mix too), but no one really talks about the coat type because it's clearly not a breed standard type.

Cad's undercoat is like 1-5mm long, whereas his wirey guard hairs are 6-10cm long, depending on where on the body and which phase of the hair growth cycle. He's much coarser now compared to when I homed him at 19m too.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Wow, that's so strange!

Kaily likes this.
  7. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

Dottie's level of hairyness varies quite a lot throughout the seasons. She is 5 and was probably about 18 months before she got her full coat. This is her now, she has much longer hair on her back than the rest of her but isn't quite rocking Daisys mohican look she just looks scruffy no matter how much she is brushed!
    IMG_20210206_160820.jpg

margy, Kaily and lullabydream like this.
  8. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

A dogs coat does change as it gets older. Flynn is wirehaired and had quite a thick wiry coat with facial furnishings but after a couple of years he became slick and lost his eyebrows and his beard thinned out.

Kaily and lullabydream like this.
  9. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

When Gem came to me, she had a rug of wirehair on her back. Suffice to say errrr I clipped it off... She was 9 years old I wasn't worried about ruining her coat!

Her 'rug' never really grew that much again to be honest.

I haven't even got pictures of her, which is a shame. She did stink when I got her.. Should have realised then that she was going to be a roller. So clipped and bathed as quick as I could

Kaily likes this.
  10. JoanneKen

JoanneKen PetForums Junior

Huh, that's interesting. No idea what's going on butI hope you figure it out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice