Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Daisy has a new friend .

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by andrea 35, Jan 17, 2008.

1. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Hi all, hope your all well and everyone had a great christmas and new year . I dont know if you remember a conversation i started a while ago about our quandry over should we get another dog be it male or female ? Well we kind of had our minds made up for us on christmas eve , a friends we had made through walking our dog at the park contacted us asking if we would have there labrador bitch off them as they were going through some family problems and the poor dog was getting the raw end of the deal . This as you can imagine was a long and thought out decision to make so we met on christmas day morning to walk the dogs and discovered the extent of the problem, we didnt want to leave poor Jessie in such an enviroment so we said that we would take her on the provision that she would be coming for a holiday to allow them to see if they missed Jessie , and also to see if Daisy was happy too . So we got Jessie on the thursday between christmas and new year and i must say that after 24 hours it was like she had always been there , Daisy loves her we discovererd early on that both dogs had come from the same place and although they are not sisters we think they may have the same dad , Jessie is 4 weeks older than Daisy and is almost her double they are both blonde princesses . We finally got the go ahead off our friends to keep Jessie about a week ago so she is ours for good and i must say i could,nt be happier she fits in perfectly , she is in need of weight loss as she is a whopping 35 klo so she is on a big diet enjoying eating carrots instead of other fattening treats , i think she has lost about 3klo already so a bit to go yet . Anyway I thought I would let you all know that we have completed our little canine family and loving the 2 of them imensley . I'l post a couple of pics when ive got time so you can see them together. :)

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

thats lovely
    glad to see they are both happy and you
    would love to see some pic's of them both together
    she is a big girl and she's doing well
    enjoy :) :)

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Hi Andrea, a happy ending all round, its amazing how decisions can be taken out of our hands. Good for you on getting her to loose some weight, I hate to see any dog fat, but its always sad in a young dog, it slows them up so much, and makes them old before their time.

4. Debbie

Debbie PetForums VIP

Awww good luck with them both - I hope they continue to get along and everyone remains happy - Its so weird how these kinds of things just fall in your lap - yet are the best things that can happen to you :) Lets see some pictures of them together :)

5. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Thanks for you replies here are the girls Daisy has the brown nose Jessie the black and the slightly more rotund.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

You'll soon get her into shape, Daisy looks in fine shape, so you obviously know what you are doing.

7. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

Aaw that is such a lovely story... They both look adorable..

:D

8. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Daisy is doing fine she will be 12 months old in Feb , we,ve just had her leg x rayed as she had been on occasion limping our vet told us about OCD a type of cartlidge disruption in the joint that can later lead to arthritis . She shows signs of damage in her right front elbow but our vet thinks at this point an op wont be of much benefit , so were embarking on a course of injections to boost the growth of new cartlidge to improve the joints stability along with a high dose of glucosamine which she can be on for life to help her out . This is a good reason for keeping her trim she weighs 29 kilo id like to get her down to 27 and keep her on the trim side. Jessie on the other hand needs to loose some flab just so she is healthier . I think Jessie is a generally bigger dog being slightly taller and having bigger feet so maybe 28 or 29 kilo is realistic for her. Just need her to stop being in season so that she can run off the lead n the park .

9. Angel

Angel PetForums Senior

Hey my dog has something like that with her leg. She is due an op next weds. You can read about it under health thread............ :D

I hope the injections work for her.............. :D

10. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

By all accounts its very hit and miss as to weather it helps or not our vet has a lab who has the same compaint in her hind hocks they operated on one but not the other and she said you cant tell the difference . Her husband is an orthapeodic vet and his advice on looking at Daisy,s x rays was that although they wont rule out an op in the future, at the moment they want to try the less evasive route to see if we can bring it under control . The glucosamine will help all her joints generally 1000 mg a day for 6 weeks then if she does well on them she can carry them on forever ive bought the human variety as our vet said to buy a special dog version is no better and costs loads more. She also told us about Green lipped muscle in tablet form again you can buy the human form this helps as an anti inflamatory and natural pain killer. Daisy has her 2nd jab later today so we will see how she goes . Hope your little one does ok in her op keep me posted as to progress .

11. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

I am absolutely sold on labs since we bought one for our daughter 5 months ago so congratulations to you for the newest addition to the family. I hope that her joints get sorted out without too much intervention.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice