UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I take my cats out for a daily walk on harness. I just wondered if I am alone in doing this? My cats are indoor cats but they go out on their safety Mynwood harnesses for a daily walk along the canal which runs alongside our house. They enjoy it, when I get the leads out they sit by the door waiting for me to put them on. We go out for 30minutes upwards, strolling around very slowly, going across the lock and meeting regular walkers. The cats have learnt to hide by my ankles when a dog is around but are confident with everyone else.
Is there anyone else out there? I just feel it gives them the best of both worlds safety but new experiences and smells. :)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They looks so, so happy. Couldn't believe my husband has the same jumper!:D The harnesses are great, actually need to get another as Reuben has EATEN like a pig and has almost outgrown it.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Hi, I take my cats out for a daily walk on harness. I just wondered if I am alone in doing this? My cats are indoor cats but they go out on their safety Mynwood harnesses for a daily walk along the canal which runs alongside our house. They enjoy it, when I get the leads out they sit by the door waiting for me to put them on. We go out for 30minutes upwards, strolling around very slowly, going across the lock and meeting regular walkers. The cats have learnt to hide by my ankles when a dog is around but are confident with everyone else.
Is there anyone else out there? I just feel it gives them the best of both worlds safety but new experiences and smells. :)
Lol lol! :D Sime ( hubby) gets loads of comments he's called catman hahaha :D
When I take em for walks where we live they all know I'm the crazy cat lady haha!

G

·
You are in esteemed company. The GREAT, extraordinarily intelligent ALAN TURING was known for going on walks with his cat, sans harness.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You are in esteemed company. The GREAT, extraordinarily intelligent ALAN TURING was known for going on walks with his cat, sans harness.
No promises of Alan Turing's intelligence here, but we certainly get some puzzled looks on our strolls. Only one negative comment so far! Ie They shouldn't be allowed out because of tempting the dogs, needless to say I mentioned that I had more than enough right as it was my own local patch and I was being responsible as they were on leads whereas her dogs were freely running with soaking wet coats past everyone! sorry small rant!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Nyx likes her walk.....we usually go to the same place as I know it's safer for her regarding dogs. My DD and i were out with her just recently when i got a call from my DS's school...could i come and collect him as he was unwell. I said, give me 20 mins, i'm by Castle Fraser pond walking the cat. I totally forgot the school had a new secretary, there was a stunned silence followed by 'err ok'. When i got to the school the secretary said 'Can i just check,....you did say you were walking the cat?!?' Thankfully i had a picture on my phone as i had just been cheeky to my teen and had made a comment about the fact the teen can walk!

Enjoying the pond. by calinyx, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Lovely pics :)

We take Pandora out in the garden every day - I'd love to take him somewhere public, the canal would be good, but he can still be a bit nervy in daylight. He much prefers going out in the dark.

I'd love eventually to be able to take all four at once - what a sight! But currently we just swap the harness between cats to try them on it. Pandoras the most successful, followed by Eowyn. Pyrrha sits by the back door nervously but won't step outside and Schrodinger won't let us near him with the harness lol.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
Not at all, in fact, as houshens said, you are in esteemed company :p As you can see from my avatar, my Nunu is also taken for walk (or rather, he takes me). Every evening at 7 pm, he is at the back door miaowing for his walk. He even positions himself so that I can attach the harness easily (also a mynwood). The walk takes place every evening in a secure gated, dogfree and carfree area. He smells every leaf and grain of sand, checks for presence of "enemies" (other cats) and sees off "dangerous" lizards and moths. It is a great bonding exercise, gives him some time with me (his "sisters" get on his nerves sometimes) and gives me some time with him for cuddles and kisses. The two girls are not harness trained, but they do not like leaving the garden anyway.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've just realised I am enjoying seeing other people walk there cats and there are none of Harvey and Reuben, so here we go.............along the canal on an Autumnal day. As you can see Harvey has no fear of the lock gates!!! Hope you like them.:D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.