Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Daft people on dark nights!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Thorne, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

Was driving home after petsitting a friend's rabbits tonight at about 6pm - getting dark and raining a fair bit. Came around a corner and saw a car swerve to avoid something up ahead long before seeing reflective stripes on a hi-vis jacket.

Walking along the road (no pavements here!) was a man with 7 Greyhounds, none of which had any hi-vis or reflective or light-up gear on them.
    He did, but in the rain, darkness and with dipped beams I almost didn't see the array of dogs which were covering most of the road.

At least he was wearing something reflective but his dogs were virtually invisible! :mad: Hopefully the car that swerved ahead of me will prompt him to reassess his night walk attire!

2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I've just got a hi vis jacket for OH, he had one for Muddy but not himself.
    Trouble with Muddys is he needs to be side on for the full effect.

I think there should be tail/chest bands or something similar

3. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

I had a hi viz tail guard for my horse but it kept falling off. The way Bess wags her tail I don't think one would stand any better chance on her. Good idea though.

4. Lara1988

Lara1988 PetForums Member

It won't be long before we have people cycling home from work in the dark wearing black coats and hats to avoid hitting to.

Maybe the greyhound man got caught out and wasn't expecting it to get so dark so early and quickly.

5. Thorne

Thorne PetForums VIP

I was hoping so to but mentioned it to mum when I got in - she said she's had near misses with him on dark mornings with his pack fanned out across the single track road she takes to work! Will have to keep an eye out for him while I'm petsitting in the area.

Cyclists seem to know no fear :rolleyes: Used to work with someone who seemed to only own black clothes who cycled there and back in the dark with only a front light, amazed he didn't get knocked off!

Shame that a dog probably wouldn't keep a reflective tail band on for long - that would be ideal for road walks.

6. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I get fed up with cyclists, walkers, dog walkers and horse riders without suitable clothing. I very nearly hit someone out with their dog a couple of weeks ago. I never go out without high viz with the horses summer or winter, daylight or otherwise.
    I just bought two collars for my dogs - the whole collar lights up with 3 choices, either solid light, quick flashes or long flashes. They are not actually walked on the road at night but have a last thing at night walk on the farm so it helps to keep tabs on them.

7. littleangel01

littleangel01 PetForums VIP

i admit i dont wear any high viz :(

the girls however have flashing collars a small coat thing to go over there greyhound coats also i got some small viz bands that are made to go round horses feet i brought the small size and they each have two on there back legs so they are seen from behind :D

8. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

Hi-vis for toy breeds actually seems hard to find, but for greyhounds there is no excuse!
    We're they at least on leads did you notice?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice