Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

DAF minced oily fish

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by kate_7590, Feb 6, 2012.

1. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

Im going to put in my order with DAF soon and wondered what the minced oily fish was all about?
    Can this be fed instead of the other minces?
    Is it richer?
    Whats the benefits of feeding it?

Want to get some different things for them to try this month :)

2. Kivasmum

Kivasmum PetForums VIP

Its just minced fish I would assume :confused: and I would of thought you would use it the same as any of the other minces :D

3. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I've just seen this at my suppliers and I am going to get some next time.

I assume it is just minced fish including bone. It can't harm them, but it's best to ask DAF yourself to see whats in it.

4. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

I wonder what oily fish has that has been promoted endlessly in human food-health campaigns for years - maybe we shall never know. :blush:

5. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

Don't be so sarcastic. Feel free to offer some facts, oh all knowing one.

The benefits of omega-3
    Researchers have now discovered and identified the many benefits of omega-3 essential fatty acids and we have listed them below:

They reduce the levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol in the blood.
    They can alleviate inflammatory diseases such as arthritis and help to reduce the amount of medication taken for them.
    They lower blood pressure.
    They prevent the blood from forming clots, which therefore reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.
    Omega-3 protects against heart and circulatory problems.
    It is good for the healthy development of the brain and eyes.
    It reduces the risk of thrombosis.
    It is good for sufferers of gout.
    Omega-3 clears cholesterol from the arteries, widening the artery walls and increasing elasticity.
    Omega-3 increases the levels of "good" HDL cholesterol in the blood, which protects the heart.
    People who regularly consume oily fish are less likely to suffer dementia or Alzheimer's.
    Oily fish consumption reduces the risk of depression and helps people who are depressed to overcome it.
    Omega-3 is good for the development of a healthy baby, although pregnant women should limit themselves to no more than two portions of oily fish a week.

Courtesy of Oily fish - the health benefits of oily fish including salmon, herring, trout and sardines.

Some of the info will be based on humans but you get the idea ;)

6. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Just ordered some of this in this months DAF order.

It's good for skin/coat as well as having vitamins and minerals (listed above). This way instead of adding fish a few times a week, they can have a few fish meals a week. They like it and it's good for them.

7. kate_7590

kate_7590 PetForums VIP

Thank-you everyone for all your help. Think I'll order a load this month :D

8. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

Last week I ordered some of the minced Tripe and Oily Fish as I normally do, and I've been sent the Oily Fish (apparently the site I order from had a new packer who's still finding their feet).

It is VERY oily! And I have to reduce the amount I give Sherlock as it makes his stools a bit loose. It's ok if I serve it with some chicken and bone. I think I will stick to the tripe and oily fish next time, because I'm not sure about giving him such a large amount of oil at once.

Maybe just order one or two packs to see what you think first, or order more but divide it up?

9. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Also keep your eye out in the supermarket for sprats/sardines etc reduced. Dex loves fish.

10. Staffx

Staffx PetForums Senior

I had some oily fish inmy order this time and I haven't found it that oily at all, it looks really good quality and Major loved it, he gets a pack every other week :D

11. kateh8888

kateh8888 PetForums VIP

I was must looking at this on R2G. Looking forward to ordering some soon...mine seems to love fish! :p

12. Shrap

Shrap PetForums VIP

R2G is more expensive ;)

13. springfieldbean

springfieldbean PetForums VIP

But they deliver to areas DAF don't.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice