Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dachshund x Chameleon

Discussion in 'Lizards' started by Jude Bushell, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Jude Bushell

Jude Bushell PetForums Newbie

Hey! I am just wondering if my dachshunds will react to a chameleon if i get one. Since they are hunting dogs i am concerned they will smell them and bark or try to get to the enclosure. Thanks!

2. Jude Bushell

Jude Bushell PetForums Newbie

Also i want to add; incase i change my mind a chameleon, will it be the same with snakes or other types of lizard.

3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Hello Jude. As the owner of 2 dachshunds myself it's not something I'd go for, the hunting instinct/ prey drive can be strong. It could be stressful for all concerned keeping them apart and safe.

lorilu likes this.
  4. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

No reason why you couldn't - any reptile you have would need to be suitably housed and off the floor in a secure enclosure, or in a room your dog doesn't go in and it will be fine. Obviously don't leave them alone together, don't handle with your dog in the room, don't allow them to 'meet' - common sense stuff really as you would with any other smaller animal :)

Chameleons are fairly sensitive to keep - they have particular needs and can be a more challenging species to keep, certainly high maintenance compared to other reptiles. They aren't really a species to handle regularly either as they can be prone to stress.

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice