Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dachshund with an unknown allergy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ProfessorSausage, Apr 16, 2020.

1. ProfessorSausage

ProfessorSausage PetForums Newbie

Hey guys.

This is my first post so please be kind!!

My Dachshund cross is 6 years old and has had an unknown allergy for approximately 2 years. He has had multiple tests at the vets and has even visited a dermatologist but neither can determine what his allergy is. He scratches and bites his underarms and legs and he gets dry flaky skin around his ears and eyes too. And he smells like Quavers! And his breath is TERRIBLE from chewing the skin. It’s so sad to see.

We were told to put him onto Royal Canin Anallergenic food as a strict diet with NOTHING else to pass his lips as a test for 3 months. This was alongside Apoquel, which we were told he may have to take for the rest of his life. We did this and his allergies were ok for a while but then came back and they’ve been on and off since, even though we’ve kept him on the strict diet. He is no longer taking the Apoquel and we felt it wasn’t working for him anymore.

I’m now assuming it could be an environmental allergy rather than food related - but what?

Has anyone else experienced this?
    Can anyone help me with what I could change or eliminate in his environment to help him?

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Sorry, this is probably not much help, and it's only ideas of what I'd try - maybe someone else will have better suggestions.

I'd wash all his stuff (bedding, toys, collar etc) in non bio and then wash a second time with no products at all, just plain water.

I'd wash him down in plain water regularly too - certainly after every walk in case it's an outside allergen but also frequently indoors in case it's something inside that is triggering it.

What sort of flooring do you have? If it's hard floors, I'd wash then wash again with plain water. If it's carpet I'd try a carpet shampoo and then again with plain water.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice