Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dachshund paw problems pls help

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Juliat505, Sep 1, 2018.

1. Juliat505

Juliat505 PetForums Newbie

I have a 3 year old mini dachshund,Ruby. A couple of months ago I noticed lumps on one of her pads. The lump dried and went scaly with no intervention. A couple of weeks later she had numerous lumps on the other back pad initially thought possibly sun burn, friction, grass seed. She was put on anti biotics but more lumps would appear and dry. She has had a biopsy done that showed nothing sinister but said a possible foreign body, even the vet said this can’t be the case as lumps just keep appearing. The skin on her pad is now raw, however it does not appear to cause discomfort. Hibiscrub, salt baths etc nothing is helping. She is still on antibiotics. Her diet is purina HA as she has numerous allergies. Can anyone please help with what this is and how I can help her

Attached Files:

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Welcome to PF .

Ive asked a Mod to move this to Dog health where i hope more members will see it .

I hope someone will advise you about her diet. There might be better hypo diets than Purina.

3. Juliat505

Thankyou very much x

kimthecat likes this.
  4. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

@Juliat505 There are no mods on line at the moment but Im sure they will move it asap when they are .
    What other allergy symptoms does Ruby have ?

5. Juliat505

Nothing at present. She had persistent ear infections so we had her tested, but her ears have been fine. It’s just the feet. Her front paws are unaffected. Only the back ones and her left is the one which is shown

6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Its strange because its not itching or bothering her .

7. danielled

danielled Guest

Well purina is one of the worst foods out there but don’t think food explains the above symptoms. Strange one. Not itching hmm will have to have a think.

Juliat505 likes this.
  8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It would appear you're doing all you can to help her at this point.

It may be your Vet can take a scrape or sample from her paw for analysis.

If she's otherwise well, it isn't likely to be infection, but it is a little strange it won't heal.

Have you tried covering her paw when you walk her to protect it?

9. Juliat505

Not bothering her at all. But I’m worried sick ha, typical.

I’m going to start covering the paw as it’s quite open and I don’t want anything getting In it. The biopsy and scrape revealed nothing. Except it MAY have been a foreign body but I don’t see how that would cause more lumps to show.

I think I’m going to change her food also. She was on Harrington’s turkey and rice however allergy test said mildly allergic to turkey but she was fine on it so I think a change there may be worth a go.

10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

What is her confirmation/gait like?

The breed often have problems because of the exaggerated long back and short legs so perhaps she’s twisting her foot/rubbing the pad as she walks?

I would definitely put a protective boot on to stop any abrasion and to prevent infection.

JoanneF likes this.
  11. Juliat505

Appears fine, she’s always been super active as well. We kept the foot uncovered to let the biopsy sights heal but I think it’s time to recover.

Thank you

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

For pad injuries like that I make socks to give some protection but allow air to get to the wound for healing. I make them out of that mesh fabric you often get up the sleeves of waterproof jackets (from charity shops) with a piece of fleece sewn in as a padded insole. they fasten around the leg with velcro.
    There could possibly be a thorn or something like that deeply embedded causing recurrent infection.

Juliat505 and Lurcherlad like this.
  13. Juliat505

That’s a great idea Thankyou. I’ll get on that. I’m debating changing vets as the results of the biopsy she’s already had really didn’t tell us anything except the lumps aren’t cancerous

14. Juliat505

She does twist the foot slightly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice