Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

dachshund has really itchy/irritated feet after walk

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by prawnstar.biz, Nov 12, 2018.

1. prawnstar.biz

prawnstar.biz PetForums Newbie

i don’t think there’s anything hurting them, but he’s very fussy about me touching his feet so i can’t tell for sure. he keeps kicking both his back legs out on a cushion and is digging as well. he doesn’t normally dig and he seems pretty frustrated. he’s grooming his feet a LOT, and pulling at it. anything i can do to help him?

update: he’s very distressed. tried to check his feet and he whimpered and then just bolted away with his tail between his legs. he seems so jumpy and agitated. he is lying on my lap now but he’s still grooming really roughly and kicking me a bit

2. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

I would try giving his feet a bath in warm water just in case there's a substance irritating them. Really you do need to be able to have a look so get someone to help if you can, but if it's not better by the morning I'd be off to the vets.

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

I agree - if you can even get a close look at the pads without touching, you might spot a raw area.
    One of mine has twice 'sliced' a pad. So the pad is still attached but it lifts back like a flap to reveal a raw sore area beneath. My dog's pads are black so sometimes if i can just see a pink bit, that gives a pointer as to where the pad has been sliced.

Or you might find a thorn or very sharp pine needle between the pads. Thinking back to where you walked your dog might give a clue as to what to look for - you might know if your dog has trodden on glass, a tin can, forest pine needles or sharp stones on the beach.

prawnstar.biz and Lurcherlad like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice