Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dachound eating poop!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Kayla181, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Kayla181

Kayla181 PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm new here but I really need some advice so I thought I'd try a forum. I have a dachound she is 7 months old and I'm really struggling to train her in the toilet area. She refuses to poo or wee outside. When she poops she takes it back to her cage and eats it if we don't catch her. She did wee on a Matt but has stopped and will do it anywhere. I've tried alot we have stood outside with her for hours and hours and she will toilet as soon as we get in. I just don't know what else to try I've had dogs before but never see anything like this. Please any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Has she ever been told off for toileting indoors? Of even have you rolled your eyes and sighed when it happened? That can make some dogs anxious about toileting in your presence, they think you are cross at them toileting, as opposed to toileting indoors, so they don't want to do it when you are there, or they hide the evidence such as by eating it.

So I suggest right back to basics with toilet training. Take her out and wait. If she doesn't toilet, bring her in and watch her like a hawk - before she has the chance to toilet indoors, take her out again. And keep repeating until she toilets outside. She will have to eventually. When she does, go absolutely nuts with praise and reward with something really amazing like cheese, frankfurter sausage, roast beef or chicken. Lots of tiny pieces, staight after the toilet - you want to do it immediately so that she gets it that this lovely reward is for toileting outdoors and not for anything else.

When she realises what wonderful treats arrive when she toilets outside, she will start to make the connection - toilet training happens when the ability to hold her toilet comes together with the desire to hold it for getting the reward.

Puppy pads only teach dogs that toileting indoors is acceptable - which of course it isn't - so they do confuse puppies and slow down training. So since they aren't working for you, don't put them out. Just use them to mop up any accidents and you could try putting them in the garden as it does encourage some dogs to mark on top of them.

If she has an accident indoors, try not to react at all for the reasons in the first paragraph. Clean up with an enzymatic cleaner and leave it down for 10 minutes to work properly before wiping it up. Later, take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for failing to notice she needed out - but don't do it in front of her because you don't want to upset her more.

Another thing you could try is adding some natural live yoghurt to her diet - maybe a dessert spoonful a day. The jury is out on how effective it is but several friends of mine say it has helped stop poo eating (although that was in dogs who are housetrained) but it certainly won't do any harm.

Burrowzig and Siskin like this.
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

What is the toilet area like ? Is it outdoors ? Does he toilet on walks? Did you use puppy pads?
    I expect she is eating to poo to hide it from you.
    Some times young dogs wont pee out doors as they are not confident enough to go outside .
    Pups get into the habit of going indoors and it becomes their place to go .

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Take her out and stay out until she's had no option but to toilet outdoors; take a picnic and go out for the day if need be.
    At home, keep her on a light lead tied to your belt; any attempts to sneak off and wee or poo in the house, you can see what's going on and scoop her up, get her outside.
    Praise to the skies when she does toilet outside.

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice