UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks (again!),

you're all probably sick of me at this stage talking about this bloody dog but here's a progress report ;)

Owners took him to a behaviorist today and she more or less told them what I thought was happening with him. Proximity sensitivity, fear of new dogs, insecurity etc. Mentioned about 'pack leader' :rolleyes: and how to reinforce this (eat before dog, walk through doors before dog, give command and expect them to be carried out etc) and take control when out and about meeting new dogs by using treats as distraction and never using aggression as this only reinforces his fear and supports him in chasing away unknown dogs.

Hmmmph.....I wouldn't be impressed TBH if that was me handing over £65 for someone to tell me something I already knew but I think the owners were happy with the diagnosis and treatment plan. The trainers advice on how to tackle the behavior is exactly what I do when we're walking.

Happy they went, bit bummed about it too though. I've been walking him for about 3 months now and have noticed the distance decrease marginally between an unknown dog and him reacting to it and I know it's going to be a long, arduous process to correct this behavior with no easy fix. I don't know what I was expecting, not a miracle but maybe a bit more?

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
I am not sure why you are expecting a bit more when you have already stated that was what YOU would advise?

I think the reason that you are not impressed is that you did not get the £65. ;)

However I would be impressed as they went and got advice from a professional (as opposed to an amateur).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not sure why you are expecting a bit more when you have already stated that was what YOU would advise?

I think the reason that you are not impressed is that you did not get the £65. ;)

However I would be impressed as they went and got advice from a professional (as opposed to an amateur).
Well, the reason I expected more is because as you say, the same advice they received from a professional, trained behaviorist was given by an 'amateur'.

I suppose with the amount of free information available on training to the layman, this isn't surprising.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have mentioned in my original post that the trainer didn't assess the level of reactivity by using stooges.

Do trainers normally adopt this technique in assessing the level of reactivity in dogs?

·
Banned
754 Posts

And there are lots of experts out there to choose from aren't there?

Some even charge £250 to teach you how to make your dog come back to you. Mind you - it does take them 4 days to do it.

pm me and i'll tell you how to do that for free. :)

·
Banned
9,695 Posts

And there are lots of experts out there to choose from aren't there?

Some even charge £250 to teach you how to make your dog come back to you. Mind you - it does take them 4 days to do it.

pm me and i'll tell you how to do that for free. :)
Go on SB, you know you want to

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.