UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Da Bird arrived from Purrs In Our Hearts yesterday and it was an instant hit! Not only does Yuki love it but it's much better than other dangly toys because of the super long and flexible rod - it takes very little effort to move it around so you can use it sitting on the sofa and watching TV, while your cat goes mad trying to catch it! I love that the newer version has a two part pull apart rod for easier storage :thumbsup:

The only downside is I feel bad once Yuki thinks she's 'killed' it and tries to trot off with it - she never gets far unless I'm enough of a numpty to follow her with the rod (not that I've done that :rolleyes:).

The cheapest place to get it online is still Purrs In Our Hearts (enter 'Da Bird' in the discount code box at checkout to get 10% off if it's your first order from them), who give part of their proceeds to UK cat charities.

I got a Da Mouse refill but it's not as much of a hit.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Ours was a hit too...although recently, once she has pounced on 'da bird' she proceeds to try and chew the string...the string part has now become more appealing than the actual 'bird' ?!?! She will chew away at it for ages...I'm not sure if its because she has just figured out that the string holds it up so may as well tackle that first before catching 'da bird' lol :p

·
Administrator
35,989 Posts
I have a fluffy attachment - great hit with kittens especially,
a sparkly attachment - easily ripped :(
a fur attachment - fantastic not attached to the rod but carried around and growled over by the kittens :D Mai Tai had one when she was a kitten and it went everywhere with her - we called it her rabbit :)
The kitties of this household love da Bird :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
The only downside is I feel bad once Yuki thinks she's 'killed' it and tries to trot off with it - she never gets far unless I'm enough of a numpty to follow her with the rod (not that I've done that :rolleyes:).

who are you calling a numpty - that's what I end up doing :D. She carries it into the kitchen we play a bit more then we are back in the lounge for round 2 :)

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Da bird are brilliant, we have the long rod and the short split one as well as the mouse wand. We did have the butterfly but it was shredded very quickly and the furry thing with a feather at the end is not interesting, however all the feather attachments are adored. We get supplies in packs of three in, they LOVE them, and it keeps the our BSH cats/kittens moving.

·
Registered
151 Posts
The cheapest place to get it online is still Purrs In Our Hearts (enter 'Da Bird' in the discount code box at checkout to get 10% off if it's your first order from them), who give part of their proceeds to UK cat charities.
Isn't the cheapest place to get one from still Zooplus?

Sure, it's not the branded version, but it's every bit as good as the official one and you can afford to buy a fair few replacements for the same price - and you'll need those when the inevitable repair process kicks in!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't the cheapest place to get one from still Zooplus?

Sure, it's not the branded version, but it's every bit as good as the official one and you can afford to buy a fair few replacements for the same price - and you'll need those when the inevitable repair process kicks in!
Good point - I was talking about the branded version, but the Zooplus version looks very similar!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
mine adores his - i have to hide it away when we're not playing because he's obsessed with it!

i've ordered one of the zooplus ones too though so will see how that compares (needed something little to bump up my order for free delivery!!)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mine adores his - i have to hide it away when we're not playing because he's obsessed with it!

i've ordered one of the zooplus ones too though so will see how that compares (needed something little to bump up my order for free delivery!!)
We have to hide ours too - once I put it under a pile of towels on the kitchen table and she STILL goes there looking for it!

Please let me know how the Zooplus one compares :)

·
Registered
9,916 Posts
The Da-Mouse needs to be on the Da-Mouse wand my two love the Mouse but won't give it a second look on the Da-Bird wand, the Da-Mouse wand is a thin wire and and moves quite differently to the fabric string on the Da-Bird.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
We have to hide ours too - once I put it under a pile of towels on the kitchen table and she STILL goes there looking for it!

i will do! :) i was hoping the delivery would come today but no sign... i'm a little bit worried how excited i am about a new litter tray and a feather on a stick ;)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The Da-Mouse needs to be on the Da-Mouse wand my two love the Mouse but won't give it a second look on the Da-Bird wand, the Da-Mouse wand is a thin wire and and moves quite differently to the fabric string on the Da-Bird.
oh thats good to know. i do have da mouse on the da bird string and they play with it but if i can make it even better then i will!

·
Registered
151 Posts
In terms of design, the official one is better, but in reality they are so close it makes very little difference.

The main part is just a two-part fibreglass stick with a nylon thread attached to a spinner - nothing special there.

The interesting bit is a bunch of feathers tied and glued together and then further reinforced by a bit of heat-shrink that also holds the spinner in place. This is where the official version is better built and performs a lot more effectively than the knock-off one.

But despite that, it will still get knackered by an enthusiastic kitty, so no matter which version you go for you'll still need a spare (or two) whilst you repair the broken one.

And in my book that makes the Zooplus version a better long-term investment as you can have working spares for the same price as the official Da-Bird. Plus you'll still have a couple of quid left over to donate to the charity of your choice.

And if you are so inclined, you can pick up your own selection of feathers and some heat-shrink from eBay and make your own end piece!

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I had the two-part one but it came apart too easily, so we have the longer one now. Bibi liked the feathers but, like her mum, she likes sparkly things:D so she now has the sparkly attachment (bought from the Purrs shop on Amazon).

Sparkly is the way to go here! It makes a nice woosh noise, and if she is upstairs and I woosh it, she will dash down, wiping her sleepy eyes, ready for playing!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.