Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

D-Mannose

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Cookieandme, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

sorry if the answer is somewhere, but I can't find it. There are lots of posts on the subject and today I had a bottle delivered, I am going to try it for Ike (willing to try anything) as the vets don't really know.

Anyway the question - how much to you give ?

Ike is currently on - meloxidyl, cavastapen (about 5 weeks now) and Cystaid plus. Is it ok to give the D-Mannose

Thank you

2. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

I give Matilda quarter of a teaspoon of the powder in her food, she is on a long course of antibiotics as well plus onsior & as far as I could find out there is no interaction between them.

3. velvetpaw

velvetpaw PetForums Member

1/4 of a teaspoons is about right . I divide it up into 1/8 tps twice a day and put it into the food (if I am sure she will eat all of the food), otherwise I syringe it with a bit of watered down food. D-mannose only works if the bacteria in the urine are e-coli, probably the most common of all bacteria in a cat's urine. Did you have a urine analysis done with culture and sensitivity?

4. Cookieandme

He had the works done although they didn't do X-rays. They really can't work out why he keeps having these episodes. I just thought I would try anything.

5. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I really would get xrays. Milo was only 4 when he had his first lot of stones and the vet then wanted to treat for cystitis until I pressed for xrays

chillminx likes this.
  6. Cookieandme

They deemed the X-rays not needed however I will be annoyed if they now say to have them as he will need to go back, I told them to do whatever they wanted to.

7. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

@Cookieandme did they ultrasound then? Otherwise how can they rule out stones?

chillminx likes this.
  8. Cookieandme

Yes they did an ultrasound, I picked up a copy of his results tonight and the culture sent away didn't show bacterial infection.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice