Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

D.I.Y boredom busting toy treats

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sailor, Apr 29, 2011.

1. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Hi All,
    Just being nosey and thinking of ideas really :D

I was wondering what types of things do you give your dogs to keep boredom at bay.... that you MADE and didn`t buy, specifically for the dog.

These are some of the things Sailors gets from time to time.

Empty butter tubs... once I have got every last little tasty spec of utterly butterly out of the tub, I then put something he loves, such as a carrot/raw egg in sheel etc inside the tub before putting the lid back on, he then runs off to his bed wagging his tail and then works out how to get the lid off to get the tasty morsals out :D then he gets to lick the butter tub clean.

Empty sandwich spread jars... you know those tiny jars of paste ??
    Well once I am done with those, I fill them with chappie and hand it over to Sailor with out the lid on.
    First of all its great fun for him, because it takes him forever to figure out how to keep it still and stop it from skidding all over the laminate lol and then once his mastered that, normally by trapping it in a corner, he has to work quite hard to get every little scrap of chappie from out the little jar.

Empty little bottles .... these are great... first of all, they make great chew toys on their own. But I also put a handful of cheerios or similar inside, so after his finished getting the lid off, he then has to work out how to get all the cheerios out... normally by tossing it all around the garden/kitchen intil they have all fell out :D

Empty jars/tubs I hate things raiding my bins, so normally I just wash out jars/tubs etc but I have started to let Sailor clean them (not the sharp tins !!!)
    Luckily for Sailors waist line, this isn`t often and theres rarely more than a spoonful of anything left inside a jar/tub, but still, he loves it and his doing a job... his a washer upper / waste management controller

And also, I am in the process of teaching Sailor, that bringing me his tub/jar/bottle when he is finished will get him a gravy bone...... I say rubbish and he has to bring me what his just finished eating out of, if he does, he gets to swap it for a gravy bone :tongue_smilie:

So what about you and your doggies ??
    what types of D.I.Y treat toys do you give your dogs to occupy them ??

( after reading this back, I sound like i feed Sailor nothing but rubbish and left overs,like his bowl is actually the bin lol these are rare things he gets, but they do make great boredom busters for him and he will do anythiing to get them,which is good for training from time to time... the last time he had any of these, was a week ago !!! )

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Mine love treats in a closed empty egg box - they're not the brightest sparks and don't release they could quite easily open the box, they have to rip their way through instead :eek:

Treats in kitchen roll tubes with the ends folded down are popular too and a smear of peanut butter/pate just inside the opening of a bottle (lid off).

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Great ideas there - thanks! I'll try some with Kenzie :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice