Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cycling query3

Discussion in 'Coldwater Aquarium Advice' started by Daruma, May 15, 2019 at 9:30 PM.

1. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Newbie

Hi
    My cycling seems to have come to a halt: for over a week the ammonia has stayed at 0.25, Nitrites 0 and nitrate has crept up to 0.25 I could exchange some water and this may bring ammonia down to zero ?

Also I am expecting delivery of a canister filter hopefully to eventually replace the three interpet internal filters..
    How shall I add this into the system. I could remove the sponge from one of the interpet cassettes and some how put into the canister. Should I leave the remaining two interpet in the tank.
    or do I have to start over the cycling with the can'

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

Have you tried testing your tap water for ammonia? Sometimes you can get a false positive in that the test kit will never seem to show 0 for ammonia, even in perfectly fresh water.

Either way, I'd top your ammonia back up to 2ppm now and see how quickly it goes down.

Re the new filter, put as much as possible of the old filter media into the new filter (you can cut sponges up if necessary). Hopefully your new canister filter should have plenty of capacity, so you should be able to fit pretty much all of the old media in there so that you don't lose any of the beneficial bacteria. Then once it's been running a while, you can gradually start replacing some of the old media with the new stuff that comes with the new filter.

Daruma likes this.
  3. Daruma

Daruma PetForums Newbie

Thanks,yet again. Bang on : tap water reads 0.25ppm .Have boosted ammonia and will see how it goes.

NaomiM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice