Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cutting nails

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 13, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

On a different thread, it seems that a lot of people have trouble cutting their dogs nails.
    I always start this when they are puppies, even if they don't need any taken off, I pretend to do it, just to get them used to it.
    If it is done regularly, then you only have to take the tips, and there is no fear of making them bleed.
    When did you start cutting your dogs nails?

#1 rona, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2009
  2. turkeylad

turkeylad PetForums VIP

İ cut all my dogs nails and like you train them from a very early age to let me look at there nails teeth and examine them so there is no fears about it.

3. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

I really wish i did this to.. :( Unneeded stress.

4. davehyde

davehyde Banned

never ever tried it. too scared of hurting him.

do his teeth tho and he doesnt mind being handled at all.

5. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I do the same as you and tl:D. We can't do the jrt anymore since his broke his dew claw lucky his got short claw's:rolleyes:

6. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

I wish i started at a younger age, i just did it when cassie needed them trimmed. is there anything i can do now to reassure her that theres nothing wrong with cutting her nails?
    Im going start to show Pippa that theres nothing wrong with a nail trimmer now so she wont be scared of it..:)

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I never cut my last dogs nails, but I did make sure he walked on hard surfaces for at least part of his walk and being a large breed he seemed to wear them down. I have never tried to cut Henricks nails and he doesn't need them doing but having read this thread I think I will do some pretend cutting to get him used to it just in case I ever need to.

8. rona

rona Guest

I think if you start to just hold and pull on the nails, with no nail clippers in sight, you may get there in the end.
    It may take months though ;)

9. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I've never had to cut Bailey's nails, they are in good shape.
    But ever since he was a puppy I always made sure I touched his paws and nails and he lets me hold them no problem, so hopefully if the dreaded day ever comes, he might just let me do them lol.
    x

10. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i never cut my dogs nails as they wore them down themselves i find.... but my dogs are used to being handled and im sure they wouldnt mind me cutting them :) at the training we have been adviced to get the dog used to unusuall handling like the vet would do, so they get used to it and arent too stressed if needed to be touched at certain areas during vet visits :)

11. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice Rona,i hope this works!!:D

12. rona

rona Guest

Just do it when she's sleeping beside you or really relaxed to start with, then try at other times, the idea is not to stress her, otherwise it won't happen

13. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

I started when he was a tiny puppy. It was after, when I made a mistake, that Oscar got freaked out. :eek: I've tried clipping them one at a time and in between, playing with him and giving him treats. I've tried it when he's asleep. Two of us have tried - one keeping him distracted and the other trying to clip. I touch his paws lots, touch his nails but he goes insane when I try to clip them. I feel bad because I traumatised him. :(

14. rona

rona Guest

I wonder why this is not advised at all training classes, it's quite important

15. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

My vet advised us to help Bailey get used to unusual handling.

16. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

I have always started with mine when they are young.
    As they are small dogs I lay them upside down on my lap and find they relax quickly, they have even been known to fall asleep :)

17. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I started when they were nearly 2 weeks old as poor mums tummy was all red and scratched. I kept doing it every time it needed done and kept pretending to do it in between.
    I passed this info on to new owners and none of us have had a problem.
    We walk on road quite a bit so Dave's rarely need done. And Dixie runs about that much I'm surprised she has claws left! Lol

x

18. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

At puppy class we were taught to handle the dogs and do the feet, and told to pretend to clip them

19. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

good training classes do and the not as good training classes might miss out on this information to be passed on.... my thought.

20. bird

bird PetForums VIP

I dont do it, Arnie gets done when he gets his hair done. I'd like to say he has a couple of hours of pamper :D :D you know go get a manicure and new hair do, dont think he sees it like that tho :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice