Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cutting a large dogs fur

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Malamute man, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Malamute man

Malamute man PetForums Newbie

hello i was wondering if anyone knew how to cut a medium to large dogs fur safely and to get a nice clean coat when finished my friend has recently tried to cut her dogs hair with scissors and accidentally cut into her dogs leg so please try to stay away from scissors or say how to use them properly thanks.

malamute man

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Perhaps go to a groomer the first time and either continue going there or ask for a little advice on upkeep of the coat?

3. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

What kind of dog? Unless you use thinning scissors carefully, you will always get lines.

4. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I dont think this is something that can be advised over the internet..

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Depends what dog it is and what sort of coat, some dogs are not meant to be cut or trimmed, although I know someone who even had a Siberian Husky clipped which you should never do.:eek:

6. Sezzastar

Sezzastar PetForums Senior

Depends on what kind of dog it is? :confused:

I did clip Ozzy's behind back leg hair once as it was in an awful condition.. long story but he was a rescue. It has grown back real nice :) Wouldn't advise it though, next time I will take him to a proper groomers.

7. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Not sure if I do the right thing or not - I use scissors.

I have trimmed all my Goldies leg hair, tails and the fluffy back bits. I've occasionally sent Tora, the one that died last year, to the groomers for wash, brush and trim as she had an incredibly thick coat and moulted a huge amount each year. In between times she had the hack back from me. It was a bit of a hack I suppose, but it grew back in what seemed like days. Luckily they all keep pretty still as they were used to it. The OH sometimes leant a hand holding one end or the other, but I haven't done any damage to them so far.

8. Howl

Howl PetForums VIP

Mine are supposed to look scruffy, personally don't think they should be clipped. The only reason I would clip would be if something happened to her fur, or it was roasting hot.
    D's coat is course and wirey like a terrier. E's coat is fine hair very thick and long with a wirey top coat.
    I maintain her coat, I brush it regularly and snip out any small matts in her fur. Their fur is pretty forgiving when I snip small bits out but not around the legs. I sometimes trim her eyebrows a bit so she can see better but it always looks a bit silly.
    I am not too bothered about them having a perfect looking coat but I don't think I would do a full DIY job but then.... it always grows back.

#8 Howl, Nov 27, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  9. Nicki85

Nicki85 PetForums VIP

I clip (using clippers..) the backs of my Spaniels legs up to the hock and pastern, inbetween toes and back of ears. I find this helps keep the amount of mud he tracks in down, looks smart and stops him balling mud between his toes.

I think it is very difficult to nick a dog with proper clippers- much prefer them to scissors :)

10. Pet Services Kent

Pet Services Kent PetForums Senior

Hi howl! Do you "pluck" your gbgvs? My mum has an 18 month old boy and his coat was much longer and rougher than your girls' until she got him stripped! Now we can see all his colours again! Just wondering if your girls are naturally shorter coated?

11. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I have sometimes smartened up my Mals bellies and trousers but I use dog grooming trimmers which I have for my two terrier crosses who don't moult. Trimmers with a number four or five guard are safe and don't go anywhere near the skin, far safer than scissors on a dog that's prone to moving when being trimmed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice